Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Professor Layton alike game

Started by ProfL Aug 15, 2009 at 2:57 PM 14 replies 3.9k views
Original Post
ProfL
ProfL
Team name: none Project name: none Brief description: I'd like to make a prof layton alike game. Target aim: 1. - write decent story - invent challenging minigame designs - implement prototypes for those ideas 2. - sum it up into some complete playable alpha 3. - fill it up with content (art+sound) - fine tuning gameplay Compensation: once our mmorpg gets ..emm.. i mean, we'll see what revenues we'll get to split it up, if at all. I think, even having some simple minigames that you can show of, based on YOUR gameplay idea, is something worth to take part, eh? Technology: it's a simple game from the tech side of view, it can be ported to all kind of systems. prototype will run on win32 (linux if needed). i'm programming in c++ I will probably use lua for scripting to keep it easy to have all those minigames/screens atomical to easier track progress and development. The underlying core will be a simple state machine, switching those screens and scripts etc. Talent needed: -story writer -(mini-)game designer (inventing them, I don't really want to make clones) (-artist + sounds later on, but i'll keep tracking this thread, feel free to drop a note if interested) Team structure: just me, i'm programmer and 'cause it's a little project, not that demanding from the programming side, i feel capable of managing the development. Website: none Contacts: feel free to post here if u want me to sent u a pm or sent a pm to me. Previous Work by Team: i made some games, i'm also quite skilled in rapid prototyping (snake from scratch in winapi in 15min, simple railshooter with popping up objects in 45min, tetris with highscore etc. 30min(textmode rendering), ...) Additional Info: while game designs/ideas are usually straight forward (wow alike combined with gta4-sandbox type of gameplay and crysis gfx), it's usually very challenging for the actual creators. This fails and no matter how great work designers delivered, they can't change the fail. This game is rather the other way around. It's simple to program. Art is somehow straight forward. But good design of the main game and all those minigames paired with a sophisticated story makes the success (or fail) of this idea. And sorry if that sounds a littly bit sniffy, but I wont start implementing anything, until I find the right ppl for the story and gamedesign. Tho, I won't complain if there is one guy who can do incredible good art+story+game design ;). Feedback: Any, feel free to post anything, i'm pretty liberal, i guess. if you want to apply, please show me a reason that you are that one awesome guy by a simple sample (I dont want a done game, just like 10lines or one scribble)
ProfL
ProfL
I made a quick sample of how a prototype game might look like http://profl.mygamesonline.org/

simple art, but all the logic behind it.
(was made in 90min so dont get mad about bugs please ;) ).

ProfL
ProfL
so, 140 views, 20game downloads and no reply.
is there just no game designer interested? is it because I dont pay ahead? or something in general wrong with my posting?
Purgatorio
Purgatorio
Hey,

Thank you for posting on my thread! I must say that while I don't have any programming ability (though I am attempting to learn java and html), and after doing a little research into what sort of game you are after, it sounds like it would be a rather interesting project! I'm primarily a player of strategy/survival horror games so creating something as accessible as a puzzle game is up my alley, interest-wise.

If you can let me know a bit more in depth concerning what sort of role I could play in its development, maybe I can drum up a sample or two for you to consider? Thanks again for your interest,

Rob
Robert Ortiz - Writer & Game Developer
ProfL
ProfL
Thanks for your reply :)

If you don't know this game, you might want to watch a review like: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-professor-layton/32190

The basic idea is pretty simple. There are about 100 little puzzle games (like http://www.gametrailers.com/video/maze-gameplay-professor-layton/54138), they are wrapped by a story. This story isn't the usual "you are the only one who can... ". It's rather something that makes you want to continue "watching" that story so you can get behind the "main riddle" and also some side storys.
Maybe you want to checkout the trailer for the next Professor Layton game to get an idea: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/train-cinematic-professor-layton/54135

In your thread you said you're a write. Maybe you'd like to write such kind of story for my (our) game. Easily accessible by kids and you and me, but still addicting enough to make everyone continue to play. I know that's somehow challenging to invent something unique and simple, but not every gamer wants to rescue the princess :o)

Beside a writer, I'm still lookin for someone who would like to design those puzzle games, but you are welcome to contribute to game design (maybe your story implys something already).

I'm just a tech guy, having like 0 creativity, that's why i'm lookin for creative guys, but I'm enjoying good game stories! :)

Purgatorio
Purgatorio
Yeah, I had to check out the wiki and the official website to get a feel for the game and I actually played one of the mini-games from the "Diabolical Box" (it was tricky!), but I understand the premise and how the games fit into the overall story line. I'll consider a few different ideas for some plot/story lines and shoot them your way, or let me know if you've got any possibilities floating around already.
Robert Ortiz - Writer & Game Developer
ProfL
ProfL
I've sent you a pm some time ago. it seems like sometimes it says "0 New Private Messages" although there is a new one. So maybe check your folder :)
ProfL
ProfL
yeah, like every year, a new part of ProfL was released, there are also some games of that kind, the probably best is http://www.telltalegames.com/puzzleagent2

so, is there any

-artist

-story writer

-game designer

up for joining a coder for this quest?

JaredChristiansen
JaredChristiansen
id like to help to i can help come up with ideas and i can try to make textures
JaredChristiansen
JaredChristiansen

yeah, like every year, a new part of ProfL was released, there are also some games of that kind, the probably best is http://www.telltaleg...om/puzzleagent2

so, is there any

-artist

-story writer

-game designer

up for joining a coder for this quest?



yes i can maybe build levles,write storys
GiLa
GiLa
Let me help you out a bit here.

I believe the reason that you're not receiving the attention that you've expected, is because you went about the game's proposal in the wrong way. You would do good to have a more focused scope in what you want to do. For instance, you say that the game isn't very large/simple, yet call it an MMORPG in the compensation tab. This is conflicting information, as we all know, MMORPGs are far from simple ^ ^

Secondly, it seems as if you're unsure about the game yourself. I suggest making some solid decisions highlighting important aspects about the game, THEN updating your post accordingly. Right now, we don't have much to go by other than "Like Professor Layton". You need to give us a bit more to chew on to acquire a taste for your idea. There is nothing wrong with the idea itself, you just need to give us more substance.

Good luck in your pursuit, and I hope I've helped!

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me ^ ^
ProfL
ProfL

Let me help you out a bit here.

I believe the reason that you're not receiving the attention that you've expected, is because you went about the game's proposal in the wrong way. You would do good to have a more focused scope in what you want to do. For instance, you say that the game isn't very large/simple, yet call it an MMORPG in the compensation tab. This is conflicting information, as we all know, MMORPGs are far from simple ^ ^
that was meant to be a tiny joke ;), the game is just like Professor Layton (and the similar puzzle agent).
Secondly, it seems as if you're unsure about the game yourself. I suggest making some solid decisions highlighting important aspects about the game, THEN updating your post accordingly. Right now, we don't have much to go by other than "Like Professor Layton". You need to give us a bit more to chew on to acquire a taste for your idea. There is nothing wrong with the idea itself, you just need to give us more substance.[/quote]well, that's exactly what it is, I'm programmer, I'm happy programming that mixture of puzzle+adventure+story game. I seek game designers and artist to create the other parts of the game in the way PL is.


Good luck in your pursuit, and I hope I've helped![/quote]
thanks, your comment sound constructive, rare thing in an anonymous space.




@coolcat777

thank you for your offer. do you have something to show? it seems a little bit like you don't know the game, it has not really 'levels'. Can you pm me a rough summary of the story you have in mind?

GiLa
GiLa

well, that's exactly what it is, I'm programmer, I'm happy programming that mixture of puzzle+adventure+story game. I seek game designers and artist to create the other parts of the game in the way PL is.


It'd still help to have a more defined scope, but I understand where you're coming from.

Best wishes, and be sure to keep us updated ^ ^
Ryman
Ryman
Please don't attempt to make this a MMORPG (even though I believe the Professor Layton games are not a RPG). It's your typical casual adventure game, and you should really concentrate on your game being just that. You'd be surprised just how hard it is to get casual players to take your game serious when it is not polished because you're too busy with the technical side of development.
ProfL
ProfL
as I already said, this was intended to be a joke:)
so far I got some replies, but non responded to my pm, you have still the chance to take part in this epic AAA title beyond belive, world will not be as it was before, yes YOU
FatherSaintPaul
FatherSaintPaul
Sent a PM. Would like to get in touch with you regarding the designer's position.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.