Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

NShader - HLSL - GLSL - CG - Shader Syntax Highlighter AddIn for Visual Studio

Started by AlexandreMutel Oct 1, 2009 at 8:25 AM 4 replies 4.3k views
Original Post
AlexandreMutel
AlexandreMutel
I'm pleased to announce the 1st release of NShader, an opensource project that provides syntax highlighting for various shader languages (HLSL, GLSL, CG) for Visual Studio 2008. Features
  • Basic highlighting for HLSL, GLSL, CG languages (comment, number, floats, keywords, builtin functions)
  • Additional special highlighting per language : Semantics for HLSL, builin variables for GLSL.
NShader uses a specific shader language highlighting based on the following file extensions :
  • .fx files : HLSL syntax highlighter.
  • .glsl, .frag, .vert, .fp, .vp files : GLSL syntax highlighter.
  • .cg, .cgfx, files : CG syntax highlighter.
I have mainly developed this plugin because i was unable to get intelishade.net plugin (site is down?) and i need support to glsl shaders as well. Hope you'll find this useful. :) [Edited by - AlexandreMutel on January 8, 2010 4:28:59 AM]
Bakura
Bakura
That's a cool plug-in ;). Are you following GLSL 1.30-40-50 specs (using texture function instead of texture2D...) ?
Damocles
Damocles
Hi, I just tried to install your NShader plugin, but I get an error message:

NShader 1.0 requires Visual Studio 2008

I have VS2008 Pro installed, and have the latest .net runtimes. Any ideas what might be wrong? It looks like a great plugin, so I'd love to be able to test it out.
------------------------------------------[New Delta Games] | [Sliders]
AlexandreMutel
AlexandreMutel
Quote:
Original post by Damocles
Hi, I just tried to install your NShader plugin, but I get an error message:

NShader 1.0 requires Visual Studio 2008

I have VS2008 Pro installed, and have the latest .net runtimes. Any ideas what might be wrong? It looks like a great plugin, so I'd love to be able to test it out.

Hi Damocles,
you should post this bug on NShader Issues Tracker as i don't receive any email notifications from gamedev.net forums! ;)

Concerning this bug, it's strange. The installation is looking for the key "EnvironmentPath" in the following registry path : "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINNE\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\9.0\Setup\VS". This key is just the full path to the devenv.exe file, this should be standard...
Damocles
Damocles
I went to post this on the issue tracker like you asked, until I realized you have to register. And I'm so very, very lazy, so I'll just post it here :)

I'm posting to say that I did not have the reg key EnvironmentPath but did have many others that stored the full path to the same folder. So I manually added the key, and the plugin installed fine. I wonder if this was because I installed to a non-standard folder (only difference was I installed to D drive, instead of C) and so maybe the VS installer messes up in that case?

Nice work - all the syntax for my HLSL shaders highlights nicely. Thanks for your effort.
------------------------------------------[New Delta Games] | [Sliders]

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.