Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

GameDevKit: international relevance?

Started by Farrenfox Oct 1, 2009 at 9:04 PM 2 replies 1.5k views
Original Post
Farrenfox
Farrenfox
I'm looking into buying the Game Attorney's GameDevKit from gamedevkit.com - my question for those who might have it is how relevant are the legal contracts if you're not in the US? I'm particularly interested in contributor/employee agreements and NDAs. Are the documents in the kit specific to US law, or would they be useful anywhere in the world? Thanks.
Tom B
Tom B
I get this question pretty often. You are correct that the forms in the Kit are consistent with US law. But they are also game industry specific. So, what I usually suggest to developers from out of the US who may not have access to a lawyer with any game industry experience is to consider obtaining the Kit and then having a local attorney with some experience with intellectual property law in your jurisdiction use it as a starting point. Yes, it is plagiarism, but that's pretty standard stuff in the legal industry.

In fact, these generic type of forms are not a substitute for real legal help. It's always best to use a real live lawyer. But these forms are a good place to start.

I hope that answers your question, If it doesn't, feel free to contact me directly.

Tom B

¤º°`°º¤,¸¸,¤º°`°º¤¤º°`°º¤,¸¸,¤º°`°º¤ Thomas H. Buscaglia, Esquire The Game Attorney 23133 Vashon Highway Sw Vashon WA 98070 www.gameattorney.com 888-848-GLAW ¤º°`°º¤,¸¸,¤º°`°º¤¤º°`°º¤,¸¸,¤º°`°º¤
Obscure
Obscure
A list of some of those real live lawyers (of which Tom is one) http://www.obscure.co.uk/directory/directory-legal/. Mainly North America, UK and one from Germany I am afraid. If anyone does know any lawyers with game industry experience in other countries please do let me know.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
Tom Sloper
Tom Sloper
Quote:
Original post by Farrenfox
how relevant are the legal contracts if you're not in the US?

What Tom B said. You ought to get the kit AND a lawyer in your country.
-- Tom Sloper    --      sloperama.com

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.