Original Post
Hello all, ever since I was eight years old I wanted to make games. I always thought about what music I'd use, what different weapons you could use, etc. I've always loved to play games, there's nothing better than relaxing with a good game. When I turned 13, I started to "hack" games for the PSP. I learned a lot about the MIPS assembly language and really enjoyed being able to alter the game in ways I wanted. While I was doing that, I started programming for the PC in Visual Basic, doing some small projects here and there. I was always told this was a bad language, teaching horrible programming techniques and the like. So, I moved on to C++ and learned a lot of the basics very quickly. I wanted to move away from console programs and I've started working with GUI programs. I've created several different programs that have a GUI, nothing too fancy as I'm still learning. I'm now 17 and looking into college for next year. I figured I'd take my love for games and programming and combine them. My question is, I went to the game store the other day to buy a new XBOX and was talking to one of the employees. Apparently, a friend of hers had started game development and went to Japan to be an apprentice. He would test games for quirks and learn about development while getting paid, now he's back and about to go to a college here in Austin, TX. When he gets his degree, he's likely to have a job in Japan developing games. I have ALWAYS wanted to travel the world and thought this would be excellent! I would get to travel to one of the countries they offered (Australia, Japan and a few others) while learning about game development. Then I would be able to snag a job in one of these countries working in GAME DEVELOPMENT, how great! I left my number to have the guy call me but he has yet to do so. I've turned to google to look for anything on the subject but can't find a thing. Does anyone know of any program like this or a college that offers something similar?