Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Dragon Age

Started by ChurchSkiz Nov 12, 2009 at 7:02 PM 38 replies 5.8k views
Original Post
ChurchSkiz
ChurchSkiz
How many of you bought it? One of the best games I have played in a long time. Similar experience to The Witcher in terms of adult content, but the game is a lot more fun and the replayability is insane. Your experience using the same character, class, and race can be radically different just by the answers. I grew tired of the normal "Pick a response" games from Bioware as the answers were always so canned. The grey area adult decision making is why I enjoyed The Witcher and Dragon Age has the same concept. Where it really shines to me is in the battles. Typically these games follow a pattern for me. An hour of getting used to the battles, finding the optimum strategy, and then the rest of the game button pushing to try to get them over with quickly. I have been playing about 20 hours so far and haven't tired of the fights yet. They keep you totally engaged. You can take out epic death lords and then get wiped on the next common mob because you stopped paying attention. You have to actively manage character positions for defense and offense, and control enemies through spells and taunts or you will get surrounded and destroyed. It reminds me of WoW raids but in single player. I also like how the items aren't cheaped out. Gold is harder to come by and you're not going to buy your characters into uber-gear. I'm towards the end of my story and I can afford to buy one Epic piece of equipment for my main character and that is it. Everything else has to be earned or found (and the drops you get can be good but never to the point of making you impossible to kill). The relationship system is also pretty cool, you get bonuses or penalties from your party in combat depending on how you interact with them and the world. Kind of cheap in some respects because you can be a die hard war monger to the warrior or a pansy, religious freak to the priest and still get positive points from both. Would be cooler if your dialogue with all characters was graded from all party members at all times. You can also give gifts to up your relationship status but it is very slow and you probably won't find enough items to make a difference with all party members (but maybe 1 or 2). I highly recommend it if you enjoy games like KOTOR, Jade Empire, The Witcher, etc. It was marketed as Baldurs Gateish but it is a lot less hardcore in terms of the D&D style.
AndreTheGiant
AndreTheGiant
I REALLY liked baldurs gate, and I like BioWare in general.

However, Ive watched about 10 gameplay videos for Dragon Age, trying to like it, but it just doesnt look fun... I cant put my finger on what it is though. Too bad theres no demo.
Trapper Zoid
Trapper Zoid
I'll pick it up eventually, maybe for Christmas. I've only loosely been following the game but I've generally enjoyed Bioware's RPGs, and if this really is a "spirtual successor to Baldur's Gate", I should enjoy it.

My main concern is that I'll need to get it for the Xbox 360 as my PC isn't nearly up to snuff, and if it features party management I'm a mite concerned how well it will control. I'm also slightly put-off by the grimdark setting and the marketing focus on the violence and sex, because generally when a game is spruiked like that it makes me suspect it's pretending to be more mature than it really is. But I'd still like to play the game when I've got enough time to dive into a full-fledged RPG.
Nytegard
Nytegard
I have to say that this is the game that I'm currently playing.

Bad parts of the game? Well, it's extremely linear and the graphics aren't all that great. By linear, yes, they offer you 800 choices, but in the end, you have 800 different choices with the same result. And it's pretty much a dungeon hack. Don't expect different ways of solving a problem. You kill monsters, move to the next area, rinse and repeat.

But the overall feel is much like a Tolkenesque world, which while many players might not like it due to being worn out, I actually do like it. The overall atmosphere is excellent.

The PC version tends to be quite a bit harder than the console version though. You'll have to pause the game and issue orders often for each fight. (Although this is nowhere near Wizardry difficulty. I'd say it's around twice as hard as Baldur's Gate). And it's nice having another RPG that gold isn't abundant within 5 hours in.
Rattrap
Rattrap
So far really enjoying it. I loved the Neverwinter Nights series, and you can definately feel the influence on this game.

My main character is a mage, and so far it's been good. It's a nice departure from the DnD caster rules that had to be adjusted some to work in NWN. Story has been excellent too.

As was mentioned the game is a bit linear, there is a definate beginning and end. But there are a variety of beginnings to experience. And if it's something Bioware has been developing over there tenure in making RPGs, it's story and trying to make your actions have an impact. They try and provide options that may have short term or very long term ramifications through out the game.
"I can't believe I'm defending logic to a turing machine." - Kent Woolworth [Other Space]
Trapper Zoid
Trapper Zoid
Quote:
Original post by Nytegard
The PC version tends to be quite a bit harder than the console version though. You'll have to pause the game and issue orders often for each fight.

Does the console version handle the fights differently? I would have thought barring the input differences they would play the same, and if you need to pause the game to control fights the only differences would be how easy it would be to issue orders in each platform.
trasseltass
trasseltass
My friend has bought it and has only complained about a few things so far:
- Rapid DLC releases that they charge you extra for, plus some kind of annoying in-game ad for these. "I bought the game already, isn't that enough??"
- Sometimes it's hard to control the other characters in your group. When you attack or get attacked they just stand there waiting for orders, while getting beaten half to death? You should be able to script this behaviour, but even so he seemed to have some trouble.
- The game is too linear (as people mentioned here), but the story is really good on the other hand.
- Something about pick-pocket for rogues, that you could only pick-pocket friendly NPCs and not non-friendly..? Something like that.

I'm working my way through another single-player adventure-game at the moment, but when I'm done Dragon Age is next in line. :)
Zipster
Zipster
Bah I haven't even started Brutal Legend yet, just finished Borderlands, MW2 just came out, and Assassin's Creed 2 is around the corner! I would love to give this game a go (I've heard great things) but I'm pressed for gaming time!
Cygon
Cygon
Haven't checked it out yet.

One particular trailer (Sacred Ashes 2 I believe) showed a dragon being slain by slowly dragging a sword through its side (yeah, sure, sword of biceps +100 or what?) and then a closeup of its empty eye socket after it had lost an eye to some magic attack. I can't stand that. Give me a sword and let me show those dragon slayers how creative I can get dismembering them. But the game probably won't give me that freedom ;-)

I don't enjoy the AD&D rules. In Drakensang you could end up being clobbered by the enemies like a stupid peasant that just ran into a trap. Reload, try again and the dices say that you just gracefully disposed of the same enemies in the same situation without suffering a scratch.

Controlling a group also isn't for me. I want to identify with a character and be immersed in the world as him.

I'll probably wait for Mass Effect 2.
Professional C++ and .NET developer trying to break into indie game development.
Follow my progress: http://blog.nuclex-games.com/ or Twitter - Topics: Ogre3D, Blender, game architecture tips & code snippets.
ChurchSkiz
ChurchSkiz
Quote:
Original post by Cygon

I don't enjoy the AD&D rules. In Drakensang you could end up being clobbered by the enemies like a stupid peasant that just ran into a trap. Reload, try again and the dices say that you just gracefully disposed of the same enemies in the same situation without suffering a scratch.

Controlling a group also isn't for me. I want to identify with a character and be immersed in the world as him.

I'll probably wait for Mass Effect 2.


That's why I don't agree with the Baldurs Gate type marketing they did. This does not remind me of Baldurs Gate. It doesn't feel like D&D outside of normal RPG aspects. As for the combat, you can wipe on stupid peasant enemies if you aren't paying attention. If you get surrounded your character will die, which I actually enjoy because it is more realistic. Typically in games like this, KOTOR for example, you get to level 20 and you become invincible and the fights are just a waste of time to the cut scenes. Not the case here, you will be challenged at almost every encounter to keep good tactics (positioning, crowd control, etc.).

Trassel, your friend is probably selecting a character and that's why they're waiting for orders. If you select a character they won't do anything until they are issued orders. After you click off them they will default to their tactics.
Rattrap
Rattrap
Quote:
Original post by trasseltass
- Rapid DLC releases that they charge you extra for, plus some kind of annoying in-game ad for these. "I bought the game already, isn't that enough??"


Most of the DLC stuff is actually stuff from the Collector's Edition, they are just making it possible to get the content if you pay extra, just like if you had bought the Collector's Edition. The Collectir's Edition has to download the content too, we just have pre-paid for it basically.

Quote:
Original post by trasseltass
- Sometimes it's hard to control the other characters in your group. When you attack or get attacked they just stand there waiting for orders, while getting beaten half to death? You should be able to script this behaviour, but even so he seemed to have some trouble.


Somewhat true, but there is a tactics screen too (which they don't give a ton of tutorials on). You can pre-define much of their behavior in combat, or micromanage.

[edit]
This is from the PC version, can't say if console is different or not.
"I can't believe I'm defending logic to a turing machine." - Kent Woolworth [Other Space]
Machaira
Machaira
Quote:
Original post by ChurchSkiz
One of the best games I have played in a long time.

Agreed. I'm only about 15% of the way through it (I'm trying to get to all the content) after about over a dozen hours. I'm enjoying it immensely.

Quote:
Original post by ChurchSkiz
The relationship system is also pretty cool, you get bonuses or penalties from your party in combat depending on how you interact with them and the world. Kind of cheap in some respects because you can be a die hard war monger to the warrior or a pansy, religious freak to the priest and still get positive points from both. Would be cooler if your dialogue with all characters was graded from all party members at all times. You can also give gifts to up your relationship status but it is very slow and you probably won't find enough items to make a difference with all party members (but maybe 1 or 2).

Maybe it's just because I didn't take advantage of talking to them enough, but at level 10 I'm just now to the point where I can kiss one of the NPCs and another is interested in me and another is just warm to me. I expect by the end of the game I'll be able to get all of them in some combination (all 4 of us?) You have to chat them up in camp a lot it seems, but carefully. Morrigan is easy to get -rep with if you ask her why she's still around. I think she'll be a challenge. [grin]

I have the Dragon armor from pre-ordering but can't wear it yet. I don't know that I'll be able to afford the other pieces that the guy in camp has. I'm not looking online to find out how to get things done. I'd rather do it myself the first time. Maybe in another playthrough I'll do some research.

If you're into RPGs this is a must play IMO.
Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development
Nytegard
Nytegard
Quote:
Original post by Trapper Zoid
Quote:
Original post by Nytegard
The PC version tends to be quite a bit harder than the console version though. You'll have to pause the game and issue orders often for each fight.

Does the console version handle the fights differently? I would have thought barring the input differences they would play the same, and if you need to pause the game to control fights the only differences would be how easy it would be to issue orders in each platform.


I'm not entirely sure why the console version does handle fights differently, but it does. There are fewer enemies per battle, and the enemies seem to use fewer of their skills in a fight. The best way I can describe it is each level on the PC is like a level higher on the console (easy pc = normal console). Like I said, I have no idea why. Certain types of games like FPS's I could understand, but it's not like you don't pause the game for every single battle to issue commands.
_the_phantom_
_the_phantom_
Quote:
Original post by Machaira
If you're into RPGs this is a must play IMO.


I have to agree; this is my game of the year (sorry Batman and MW2), my fav RPG I've played and its very firmly towards the top of my all time favorite games.

The fact that, on my first playing, I didn't move AT ALL from my seat for 8h pretty much seals it as a great game.
Straudos
Straudos
I've been playing DragonAge semi-obsessively for the past week and a half. Definitely an awesome game. I think the combat is the best part. You have to put a lot of thought into how you handle combat, or you're not gonna survive. And that's on normal difficulty. I'm planning to try hard the next time I play, and I'm quite scared.

The game can get... quite mature at times. I don't want to give anything away, but if you want to be evil then there are things you can do in this game that other games I've played (even fallout) prevented you from doing. I'm playing evil the first time through, and I've been a little disturbed by some of the options available.

The game does have some issues. So far, the story does feel pretty cliche, though it's very well done. The graphics aren't amazing but I don't mind. Also, the balancing is a bit off in some respects.
capn_midnight
capn_midnight
I haven't played the game very much yet. I *just* got out of the opening area. So far, very underwhelmed. I'm not a fan of overly linear RPGs, preferring more the wander-for-quests style. I was actually rather surprised with how bad the graphics are, they spent a lot of time of the faces and then almost NOTHING on bodies and environments. Some of the texturing is just downright ugly. So far, the story is pretty bad, too. Not another "darkness from an ancient time and we're the only ones who are taking it seriously" story. It's going to have to get a lot better really quick in order to keep my attention. Borderlands is calling, and that at least doesn't insult me with a crappy storyline; give me none instead!
curtmax_0
curtmax_0
A few things I noticed with DAO:

- Graphics suck. Really. The Witcher looks better and uses an older version of the engine (or maybe previous version?). Of course, most Bioware games have this problem. I thought the graphics in Mass Effect sucked (and that was the PC version with 'updated' graphics). More specifically, the graphics are inconsistent. Some areas are very well done, while others have blurry ass textures and hard corners, etc. Bioware just needs to even their quality out.

One thing that really stood out compared to older Bioware and related engine games is that grass in DAO doesn't move as you walk through it. Even NWN1 did this!

- The dialogue is a step backwards from ME. It's back to the old 'choose an answer from a list of bajillion things to say while talking like cardboard cutouts' I will say that I do like the more Witcher style of dialogue, although it could do with the damned influence system, or at least not have stupid popups about how alistair hates you now ec.

- The origins are inconsistent in quality as well. I started as a human noble, and was very underwhelmed. I started a mage and my interest was regained, started a dwarf and awesome shit ensued.

- Dex fail. Come on. Rogues were already useless in D&D, but its just horrible in DAO. At least my rogue was the human noble so I didn't lose much by switching.

- Mages are freaking powerful. Not like, epic level D&D lolmage > *, but mages are just ridiculous in this game. I'm planning to have a 3 mage party with my mage char. I've noticed a very big difficulty difference between playing a rogue and a mage.

- Story is underwhelming right now. I might as well be fighting Urak-Hai in Middle Earth with Frodo Baggins (just with more blood... and new shit). I might shelve this game when L4D2 comes out and come back later when some patches/user mods are done. That's what I did with NWN and I wasn't disappointed.

I'd like to point out the blood covering all your characters is pretty hilarious. Especially when you talk to some NPCs afterward and they don't notice. Like.. *Go kill rats... giant ratbloodsplosions cover you from head to toe in blood* -> Walk outside, and say in a smug voice, "Yeah.. took care of the rat problem I did!" And everybody is just okay with you walking around with blood dripping off.

Also. What is with people saying this game is hard? It most certainly is not, except for stupid dex glitches. I guess I'm used to micromanaging everything and pausing every half second in RPGs though...
Straudos
Straudos
I'll agree that the quality of the starting stories varies dramatically. I started off as a dwarf noble, and it was very well done. Then I tried a dwarf commoner... and it sucked.

Quote:
Also. What is with people saying this game is hard? It most certainly is not, except for stupid dex glitches. I guess I'm used to micromanaging everything and pausing every half second in RPGs though...
If you're using 3 mages, it's probably a lot easier. I admit that once my party's mage leveled up and got some good spells, the combats became much less challenging.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.