Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

UI Development Tools - Any suggestions?

Started by markgame66 Nov 13, 2009 at 2:56 AM 3 replies 1.5k views
Original Post
markgame66
markgame66
Hi All, To start with I realise that this is a bit of a open ended question. I've been thinking of updating my MFC/OpenGL app to something a bit more up to date, and for no other reason to make it look more "tarty" :) As it stands at the moment, it's basically a MFC Dialoge app, covered with buttons, drop down selection boxes, data output boxes and an OpenGL window (For visulising a map). The real work is all in encapsulated in the engine so it should be really a case of jsut hooking it up to another UI front end. This time I have in mind some more full screen with the primary controls avaliable and menus that'll slide in for the other parts.... Just wondered if anyone had any suggestions for some tools that would make the job fairly hassle free - wife won't be overly impressed if I scoot off for ages learning something new ;) Thanks Mark
Fenrisulvur
Fenrisulvur
C++? Qt, wxWidgets, GTK+, etc. Lots of praise seems float around Qt, so on a whim I'd probably go with that - but I don't do native interfaces very often.
markgame66
markgame66
Yeah I was wondering about Qt.

The backend is C++, but can easly write wrappers for C# and the like.
Fenrisulvur
Fenrisulvur
Eh, native libraries aren't really conducive to the goals of managed platforms. I'd go with something implemented wholly in languages that compile to bytecode if I were looking for an alternate GUI package for C# (which I don't think I would, really).

Anyway, the swathe of language bindings, supported platforms etc, are more of a pro, really - it shouldn't dissuade in the slightest.
markgame66
markgame66
I shall ignore it :)

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.