Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Is Sourceforge what I'm looking for?

Started by Slather Nov 20, 2009 at 2:10 PM 4 replies 1.2k views
Original Post
Slather
Slather
I'd like to have my project's source posted in a central place so I can refer to it (via link to a specific source file when needed). I'd also like to share it with anyone interested, but I don't want to leave my code free to change. The project is a demo/portfolio piece that represents my abilities, so I don't want to let others modify it (a protected copy), but I want to share (the open copy). I'm the process of doxygenizing, and when the project is ready I want to to post it with full documentation, tutorial, and my sample game. I think I should create a repository on my site for my demo (protected copy) and later, when its ready, start a sourceforge project for open development. Do I need two copies to do this? Can I use a single sourceforge project to have both a protected version, and an open version? Are there security issues/advantages I should know about when using sourceforge or keeping my own repository on my site?
pinacolada
pinacolada
I don't think Sourceforge or any code-hosting site usually lets untrusted people make changes. The default for all those sites is that anyone can access a read-only version, but for other people to submit changes they need to be an approved (as in approved by you) member of the project. Of course they can always download a copy and make changes to their local copy, but that's a natural part of open source. So no, you don't need two separate copies, just use the default settings.

As far as choice of sites, I personally hate Sourceforge. Every time I try to look at a project on SF, I constantly get lost and end up going in circles looking for things like downloads, docs, and the source code browser. The whole site just feels disorganized and cluttered.

My favorite hosting site is Github.com, but that requires you to use Git which is not everyone's cup of tea. If you're using Subversion then Google Code is good.
jpetrie
jpetrie
Quote:

As far as choice of sites, I personally hate Sourceforge. Every time I try to look at a project on SF, I constantly get lost and end up going in circles looking for things like downloads, docs, and the source code browser. The whole site just feels disorganized and cluttered.

I agree. I like Google Code a lot.
Slather
Slather
I agree about the confusing design at sourceforge. I think its improved since the re-design, but there's still too much too look at. I'll check out Google Code and Git/Github.
Thank you!

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.