Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Links leading to lists of RPG game design cliches

Started by nGamer Nov 21, 2009 at 9:45 AM 5 replies 1.6k views
Original Post
nGamer
nGamer
The world of programming and game design is huge. In fact the art is so vast that anyone could come up with an idea and if they were truly inspired, then there should be none in the world like it. Your idea us as unique as your fingerprint. Knowing this, why are game designs, plots, artwork, musical pieces etcetera beginning to repeat and/or show exact likeness with other ideas? Over a number of years, geeks and gamers alike have been able to detect many repetitious patterns in RPGs and in many times in other genres of games. If you are an upstart programmer, designer, writer, musician, or any part of a team of developers, learn to be different yet inspired all at once. It is fine to inspired by another piece of art, however, when you go to create your own art, don't be repetitious by copying word for word, texture for texture, or note for note. Mix it up. Here are a couple of links to sites which contain some popular cliches in RPGs. They could be useful in designing your own story by giving you an idea of what has already been done and what can be combined to create something new. The Grand List of Console RPG Cliches Dictionary of RPG cliches If you notice any more patterns, post them. They could be a big help to someone.
sunandshadow
sunandshadow
I don't really think lists of cliches are all that useful, but here's a document I think is interesting: The Future of RPGs (old version)
I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.
lmelior
lmelior
Quote:
Original post by sunandshadow
I don't really think lists of cliches are all that useful, but here's a document I think is interesting: The Future of RPGs (old version)

Wow, what a fantastic resource. I haven't read much more than the table of contents and it's already sparking tons of ideas. I followed some links and found his wiki site for that document that may or may not be more up to date.

Bookmarked.
nGamer
nGamer
Quote:
Original post by lmelior
Quote:
Original post by sunandshadow
I don't really think lists of cliches are all that useful, but here's a document I think is interesting: The Future of RPGs (old version)

Wow, what a fantastic resource. I haven't read much more than the table of contents and it's already sparking tons of ideas. I followed some links and found his wiki site for that document that may or may not be more up to date.

Bookmarked.


I second you on that one. These articles are very helpful. Thanks.
Fenrisulvur
Fenrisulvur
A few things from TV Tropes:

- Role Playing Game
- The TV Tropes mapping of that Grand List you mentioned

Hope you didn't have anything planned for today.

On the subject of uninspired clones:
Quote:
The making of games is a business. And business is all about making a profit.

It seems to me that the typical bright-eyed wannabee imagines that game producers sit back in their plush leather chairs, yakking on their cellphones. An imaginary conversation (as envisioned by the wishful would-be game designer) might go: "I need to find a game idea for the next project. Everybody here has just more me-too ideas -- I wish a good original idea would just fall into my lap."

...

Usually, the purpose of the first company meeting is to discuss a direction that has already been in the company's plan for a while. They do NOT sit down and start, "Okay, now we have a slot we need to fill. Anybody got any project ideas? How about that design that Quincy wrote up?" Usually they sit down and start, "Okay, Project Q was a spectacular success -- let's do a follow-on," or: "Company Q is killing us in the marketplace with their Game Q -- we gotta do something similar, with our better engine, and with a cooler universe." Or: "Okay, Legal got us that great license Q. Now let's plan what the game will be, and present it to the licensor for concept approval so we can get started on it." Or the initial impetus for a project might come from a variety of other directions.

http://www.sloperama.com/advice/idea.htm

Intended for a decidedly different audience, but the sentiment applies.
Robert-Glen
Robert-Glen
Thanks sunandshadow for the link, I'm sure I'll lose a lot of time to that page ^^
sunandshadow
sunandshadow
Quote:
Original post by lmelior
Quote:
Original post by sunandshadow
I don't really think lists of cliches are all that useful, but here's a document I think is interesting: The Future of RPGs (old version)

Wow, what a fantastic resource. I haven't read much more than the table of contents and it's already sparking tons of ideas. I followed some links and found his wiki site for that document that may or may not be more up to date.

Bookmarked.


As far as I know the newer wiki was abandoned partway through development, that's why I linked the older document. But, glad people are enjoying it. [smile] I wasn't involved with creating the site but I did make some few comments in the "end goblin genocide" discussion here on gamedev which I believe is where Dwarfsoft got the idea to make the webpage.

I love the TV trope wiki. <3

Here are some more links, they are the ones you most commonly see in fantasy and science fiction writing forums:
The Fantasy Novelist's Exam
Mary Sue Litmus Test
The Big List of RPG Plots (not exactly cliches, but not too far from it either)
I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.