Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
📌 Pinned 🔒 Locked

05.05 - (B) Game Completion Lounge

Started by Teej Jul 25, 2001 at 11:34 AM 44 replies 19.7k views
Original Post
Teej
Teej
Whew! Congratulations! You should now have in your posession a simple, yet playable Blocks ''n Lines game! Sure, it''s lacking in many departments, but it at least demonstrates that at its heart it''s a working program, and that''s quite an accomplishment. Please, sign-in here by replying to this topic so that I (and everyone else) knows that you''re here. This will help give us some idea of how many of us are at this stage of the tutorial!
TheTramp
TheTramp
Yay! I did it.

And I made some half decent graphics for the game too. If anyone wants them you can download them here.

If you do though, you will have to change the bit depth to 16 bit.

I would upload the game, but I only have the starter edition of VC++ and am not allowed to distribute it so you can grab the source code here instead.

Edited by - TheTramp on July 25, 2001 1:48:32 PM
DarkTerrax
DarkTerrax
Whoop.

Added in menus, an option screen (with option soft or hard drop, and clockwise or counter-clockwise rotation), high score and options keeping through .ini file, and all that good stuff!

Also has a much better control system, where after you hold a key for X milliseconds it will repeat, and every Y seconds after that initial repetition, it will repeat - kind of the way windows normally works!

Check it out.

http://people.mw.mediaone.net/terrax/textris.zip

-Terrax
Piotyr
Piotyr
Initial program done, just the base functionality. In the coming days, I''m planning on adding a level-based system (where the pieces speed up after every 10 lines), and a high-score chart, which would keep track of the top 10 scores. Until then, I''ve just got the basic code complete.
PiotyrSoftware Engineer by day, Game developer by nightThe early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
abcdefghij
abcdefghij
yea i made it ,

Is PAC-MAN next ???

the twisted mountainman

Edited by - abcdefghij on July 25, 2001 9:14:09 PM
NIFTY
videns
videns
Never did like tetris. Like it less now that I''ve gotten it to work. I''m thinking of using the pieces in a Robotron clone...instead of robots it''ll be pieces that shoot blocks for missles. That way I can have my revenge. My tetris code is so convoluted that I''m not going to post it anywhere...it''s too embarrassing.

videns
EZ
Moondog
Moondog

time: 12:28 (CET)
location: home in Bratislava, Slovakia
subject: mission accomplished
Block''n''Lines done
preparation for next mission started


Well boyz, i did too! My game is written with all features Teej told us to do, I put more only FPS rating in the upper right corner. I am looking forward to learn much more! My source is accessible via email, so anyone who would be interested, let me know...

I would like to thank Teej for such an excellent work!

See ya all,

"Sweet child in time
you see the line
line that''s strong between
the good and bad..."
- Deep Purple
"Sweet child in timeyou see the lineline that's strong betweenthe good and bad..." - Deep Purple
MAD_Mask
MAD_Mask

I am done!
So far so good.

Next please!!!





Dionysis
Dionysis
I'm also done, and ready to move forward

Edited by - Dionysis on July 26, 2001 4:27:42 PM
saetrum
saetrum
I''m done too! What''s up next?

Kuros
Kuros
I have almost completed my Tetris clone "Kookis", it has pretty nice graphics, a working score system, with levels and such - but I still haven''t made it possible to lose yet

Some features include an object-oriented solution of the grid and the blocks, dynamic rotation of the blocks, dynamic coloring of the blocks and a gray-out of the entire screen when pausing (though this takes 235 miliseconds to compute, I''m optimizing the algorithm further as my assembly skills proceed )
White Knight
White Knight
I''m done!

Thanks for this forum Teej. Don''t think I would have been this far otherwise.
korbitz
korbitz
yippeee!!!!

got mine up and running, still gonna fiddle around with it, got some ideas to refine it a bit

if anyone wants the source email me

korbitz@lineone.net

great work teej
Eshin
Eshin

I have been done for a couple of days now and waiting for the next tutorial, just adding some extra feature in the mean time to make it look/feel more like a completed game.

Keep up the great work Teej =)
FragLegs
FragLegs
I decided to use BaseCode2 to make a game called SnakeAttack. It's just that same snake and apples game that everyone has played before, but it's got some nice graphics. You can get it here:

SnakeAttack.zip

Enjoy,
FragLegs

Edited by - FragLegs on July 30, 2001 11:26:36 AM
asylum101
asylum101
read(it works!)
it took me along time to get it that way though ive been sooo busy with work and studing for my A+ cert i havent really had much time to do much coding thanks teej im learning tons form you and this forum great job!!!!

Edited by - asylum101 on August 5, 2001 8:24:18 PM
Firemage
Firemage
Okay... Phililosophy question of the day: What is a "complete game"?
(Next question is "How do you spell philosophy?")

I have been done with this game for a week or so technically.. but I can''t just call it done.. I keep adding.. it''s just too fun. I need to stop myself before I have a a tetris clone that is more complex than Alpha Centauri

I just thought I''d add my name to the omplete section even though I am still adding features into my game.

hmmm..maybe I''ll put in an alarm setting so you know when to stop playing.. hmm.. nevermind.

Anyway. I''m all done. Bring on the next challenge.

I am loving this stuff. Once again, Teej, you are doing great things. Keep it up.

Thanx



To Thine own self be true

No day but Today
To Thine own self be trueNo day but Today
asylum101
asylum101
great code darkterax!
you showed some implements of a few things i was curious about i was wondering though what led you to do your loadpieces() the way you did and a little eexplination as cuz im not too clear on how what you did works
but it works great! thanks in advance
like i said learning lots from teej and forum read(anyone who knows more ahbout programming than i and willing to share the knowledge)

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.