Original Post
I am trying to make a board game about spaceship combat. Unfortunately, even though spaceship combat boardgames or pen & paper games are pretty common (Star Trek etc), I have never played spaceship combat based board games before! The part that I am stuck with is the movement system: I am opting to go for square grids on the board. For simplicity, lets focus on a battle between two large battleships shooting direct weapons (laser turrets maybe) at each other. Each ship is represented by a token that occupies one square on the board. How should I make the movement system? If I make it so that ships move like the King piece in a chess game, then there isn't much incentive to move around; both players would probably sit there and shoot at each other until someone blows up. Any new ideas or examples of movement systems other games use that has more depth than "King-move"?