Original Post
Hello all, I've been trying to break into the industry for a couple of years now. My background is that of a university degree in history, I've managed to make into as a contractor QA for a big gaming software company for over 6 months, and I have an indie title to be released in Q4 2011 where I stood as lead game designer (it is no biggy, but it is 3d and could compare to early 2000ish fps/adventure games with interesting systems). I read a lot of articles about design and am constantly attempting to improve my experience and overall capabilities. Basically, right now, I'm wondering, what, from your own experience, is the next step I should take to acquire more credibility for a job interview as a game designer? I understand most companies are looking for people that have 2 or 3 published titles (commercial, aka, from a big company) under their belts, but since this looks like a dead-end, is there anything 'else' I can try to actually get inside of a company as a game/level designer? Note: - I have a decent programming background, but I couldn't work as a programmer. - I also happen to have very good musical composition skills, but companies usually contract external people for that job (they don't keep one in-house, and it wouldn't drag me any closer to my goal) - Like I said, I've done QA, but it didn't seem to get me any closer to design after 9 months on a AAA.