Original Post
Hello, I've been reading a good few forums, posts, websites, etc. about this, and still can't decide. So, going to post here, and see what happens. ;) So, currently I'm going to University in Canada for first years Computer Science. My final goal was, and still is to enter the gaming industry, initially as a programmer, but now I'm uncertain. I am not enjoying Computer Science at all. I thought I would, and was completely sure it was my degree of choice, but this is no longer the case. Programming does not seem to interest me. This could be due to my lack of preparation in mathematics in high-school, or simply because I'm not understanding the subject. I'm dropping out for the rest of the year, to either change my degree direction, or to simply strengthen my Calculus (which was a huge struggle thanks to never taking any classes in high school) and to iron out my programming. And then restart taking Computer Science courses again. I always thought logic and maths was one of my strengths, now it feels like quite the weakness. Anyways, so I'm thinking about changing direction, but am quite unsure how to proceed, as programming/Computer Science seemed like my only option. Game Design has always been something that has interested me, and that I discussed with friends. Coming up with the concepts and gameplay ideas for a mock game (with the hopes we would eventually create once we learned how) was always enjoyable. Though it is almost impossible to find an entry-level position. The other option is 3D modeling/animation. Wouldn't say I'm much of an artist, though would say I am creative. Can't draw to save my life... but always enjoyed playing with Maya and 3Ds Studios when I had the chance. Not so easy to know what exactly is my passion, but Game Design I would somewhat safely say is one, though it could change so easily with experience. I would see it as my goal to work towards (as I know its not an easy job to land, specially with no experience), but if it is a goal I want, it will happen eventually. Just need to follow the right path to make it happen. Yeah, I'm still quite clearly don't know exactly the direction I want to go. I thought it was programming, but it seems like it is not for me. Thus design seems like an option as it is interesting, enjoyable from what I've done, and something that as always intrigued me. Though without any real-world experience, it is impossible to really decide my direction. I guess I really need to try more and all the options. Got a good few months to decide, though as it stands, I'm leaning towards Design as an eventual goal. Anyways, sorry for the list of everything, should probably get to the point. There is a University here that offers a program called Game Design and Entrepreneurship, it is offered by the faculty of Business and IT. It includes multiple aspects of Game Design, with an emphasis on business and being an Entrepreneur. Now this course sounds amazing to me, as its extremely broad and seems really interesting, including the business side of it. I would most likely Minor in e-commerce or marketing in the process. The final degree is a Bachelors of Information Technology though, after 4 years of study. It covers almost every area, from audio, animation, modeling, programming, etc. Which makes me fear it is not specific enough to land me a job. How would this degree fair in finding a job within the industry, eventually working towards entering a design position? I hear a lot of stories, that anything with Game Design within a degree is almost worthless, and ignored, and unsure about the IT part also. It sounds like I'd enjoy this program, though not sure of its worth. Or should I just somehow try stick with the CS and see if it improves, even though currently I'm hating it. (strong word I know). Thanks, much appreciated, NiveouS [Edited by - NiveouS on January 15, 2010 1:43:42 PM]