Original Post
Hello good folks. Has been too long since I was active around here... but now I need your help! I'm currently developing a fairly small educational game, that simulates the construction process and using 3D to visualize the progress. So there will be a number of building projects in the game, and the idea is to break the buildings down into elements/blocks, which encapsulates animation and logic for when work is done on them. Many of these could be shared between projects. The meat of these blocks could be one or more 3D models or done in code or whatever. Now, i could just represent the building in a text file, which lists all objects and their position/rotation. But it would be nice to have a more intuitive way of working with it. I'm a programmer and don't know a lot about modeling software and the designer/modeler doesn't know much about the technical side. So, is there a way of assembling an object/scene in say 3D Studio Max, that takes objects from an "external" library and a way and format to save it so you only get object "class", id, position and rotation in the file? Hope you see what i'm getting at. Don't want or need meshes and materials and so on, since the objects/blocks are defined elsewhere. I'll admit I might be looking at this the wrong way. Cheers!
