Original Post
I am graduating in May with a game design and development BA specialization from Michigan State University. I have many key ingredients of a game designer (communication skills, technical ability, etc.) However, I must admit I lack a solid understanding of scripting. I've noticed that many Game Designer positions list "scripting" in their job duties. How much is this going to hurt my chances of finding a job in the industry? Needless to say, I don't expect to START as a game designer. (I'll start as a custodian if that's what it takes to break in!) But I would still like to know that I contain the necessary skills of a game designer. If I were to learn the basics of one scripting language, what should it be? Are there any general scripting guides or books you can point me towards? How thoroughly do I need to know any given language? I know it all depends on the specific organization, but I'm looking for a general consensus. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! Timothy J. Holman