Original Post
Howdy everyone! I'm currently attempting to design an archiving (more directly, a file system inside a file) file format and was hoping to get some feedback on what I currently have written out. The goal is to store files in a compressed and encrypted archive for streaming access in a real-time game project. Below is a very quick thought dump of what I have so far -> HEADER -ID -Vers -FileCount -DirectoryCount DIRECTORY LISTING (repeated for every directory) -Directory -Index (used so you can get the full file path) FILE LISTING (same as above) -FileName (path stripped off) -DirectoryIndex FILE DATA DIGITAL SIGNATURE The reason why I split the path and file information into two separate areas is to allow empty directories to be stored inside the archive for future use and to quickly tell if a file exists inside an archive when you do not know the full path. Unfortunately this creates the issue of only allowing a single file with the same name in the entire archive (I have considered storing a file hash when you get duplicate names; not sure if this is the solution I'll go with or not) Based on the information / thoughts above, does anyone have feedback or suggestions? Sorry for the short post, still at work and my lunch is almost over with :) Thanks! Nate S.