Original Post
At work we use Nvidia Quadro cards as they do SDI capture and playback pretty quickly. Only problem is we're a small company and they cost a shit load, we just got a demo in and the GFX card costs around £4000 with the two extra input and output cards bringing the total up to around £8000, or nearly $12000(US). That's with discount. Now, I just want to know why a quadro card is over 10 times more expensive than a top end gaming card. I know you get custom drivers for apps such as 3DSMax and such, and this particular card has 4GB of RAM on board, which we don't really need to be honest, but even lower end Quadro cards are still really expensive. Years back I was actually given a low end Quadro card which was worth around £500, I swapped out my current £90 Nvidia FX5200 and stuck C&C Generals on to be greeted with a few more frames per second. That's it. So, can anyone say why they're so expensive and who would benefit from the extra features they must offer? Also, does anyone know any other solution with fast SDI in-out but using standard gaming cards rather than the obscenely expensive Quadro. Cheers