Original Post
Hi everyone! I'm wondering, for some time now, how is the best way to display projected shadow on top of mesh, like it was done in GTA III (also vice city and san andreas, and a lots of other game too). I know that for static geometry, shadows are just alpha masked textures drawn like any other object, but for dynamic object? For character, or car (or any other object), it seems to use an alpha masked texture, which is draw over the static mesh. What is the best way to compute this "planar" shadow mesh? I know how to project those fake shadow on a plane, but how to "cut" them so they fit just on top of triangle mesh? (I mean, how to do it "fast"). For example in GTA, if a car or a character, is on pavement/road edge, the shadow planes are cut along this edge. I think it needs some kind of spatial containers, to know which shadow receiver faces are where. But is it just to draw "enough" of those faces, whith computed UV coord to match the projected shadow texture (which can be a quad, or a circle, blur at edges)? Thank you! Pilo.