Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

[RPG] Bowline Engine Nearing Completion

Started by Haptic Mar 24, 2010 at 5:03 AM 2 replies 700+ views
Original Post
Haptic
Haptic
Bowline Engine Welcome everyone. My engine has finally reached a stage where I am happy to show it off to the GameDev community. I have been working on Bowline in my spare time since some time last year. My aim at this point isn't to make something groundbreaking and unique, but simply to take aspects from my favourite RPGs and create a game I would like to play. All work is done by me (excuse the programmer art), with the exception of several placeholder textures. Whether or not I purchase some contract art in the future is uncertain - at most my game would be freeware and it's hard to justify the cost. I still have some optimising and tidying up to do but the bulk of the features I wanted are now implemented. Whether or not the game made with the engine also sees completion is another story! It's nighttime in-game and a little dull, but I hope you can see my vision. Brief Rundown: - C++ and OpenGL - Heightmapped Terrain - Scripted Enemies (Lua) - Skeletal Animation (Cal3D) - Quests and Dialogue - Particle System - Dynamic Shadows / Reflections - Audio Support (OpenAL) - Player 'Skill' System (Think WoW Combat) - Melee / Ranged Combat - Inventory System and Shops - Randomised Items (Prefix/Suffix System) - Interactive Scenery (Gates, Chests, etc.) - Normal/Spec Maps - Post Processing (eg. Screen Shock from Impact) - A* Pathfinding [Edited by - Haptic on March 28, 2010 5:39:40 AM]
Haptic
Lightness1024
Lightness1024
It looks not too bad but with the engine you have, I want to say it's a pity you don't use more lighting effects.
you really need to make some bump map on the ground and puts some small fires with random flicker to make it lively and give depth to the colors.
This way is just too much ambient and it looks sad and poor.
We can totally understand the heavy job on this title, if you have some time more, try to improve the looks a little, its always important to make something attractive.
so two words: nice, and bravo !
Haptic
Haptic
Thanks for the feedback Lightness,

You are right about the ambient light, I noticed this the other day. I think I accidentally negated the diffuse factor when I made my light color changeable (to allow nighttime effects). This will be a simple shader bug.

The game obviously needs some better art, but that's just my lack of ability. As long as the functionality is there to do it, I'm happy enough. I will probably end up seeking help in the forums here for the art and some of the design.

Point lights are still yet to be implemented but they will have a great effect on the atmosphere and life of the scenes. I've said the engine's nearly finished, but I keep thinking of things I forgot to add in!
Haptic
Haptic
Haptic
Here's a daytime shot, which I think looks alot nicer. The diffuse issue is also fixed.

I made it nighttime because I was trying to add atmosphere, but adding a slight red tinge to the daytime light does a better job I think. Adds a touch of warmth to it. I'm new to the whole visual design side of things so I'm sure I will make many mistakes along the way!

Any comments or suggestions are more than welcome.


Haptic

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.