Original Post
Firstly, hello everyone! I hope you're all well. Right, my background. I'm a code monkey with experience of coding my own games in a variety of languages, from BBC Basic (remember that?) to C++ with lots of things inbetween. These have been simple games which wereren't particularly innovative in design - text MUDS, Space Invaders/Pong type games, simple platformers. Oddly enough I'm not employed in programming and have no formal qualifications - I've always steered well clear of cetification because I truly enjoy programming and I'm one of those people who can't do the things I enjoy at the whim of another. I'm a baker, for anyone interested =P As well as programming experience I have extensively modded games and worked with a variety of toolkits. So what the hell am I doing here? Well, aside from sprites and 'modding' the odd .dds in photoshop, when it comes to art assets I am a complete beginner. I've got a 3D project in mind (my first) and I've decided to pick up a 3D engine to ease myself into it. Months of playing about in trial versions has led me to a choice between DX Studio and GameStudio (A7). I can't choose between them so I'm looking for some help before I purchase. I have a budget for my project which includes contracting out (some of) the art assets and most of the 3D visual work (don't know what it is called - lighting, filters, all that atmospheric stuff which I'm clueless about). I've farted around with terrain and folliage generation software and am fairly competent in that, but when it comes to actual artist direction of the project I know I am sunk. I'll probably have to purchase at least 2 licenses for whatever engine I choose, so I want to choose the one that the folks that do this sort of work will be less restrained by. Naturally, I'd love the one that that can be pushed further than the other. Put simply, if you're an art dude or dudette (I just know I'm probably lumping abaout 500 jobs into one role here, such is my ignorance), which have you preferred? Art direction I'm hoping for is something like The Path, though hopefully higher fidelity. Lots of filters and overlays etc. and as many polygons/triangles/whatever you call them on the screen at once. I'm not interested in a comparison that isn't art related; I've played around in the engines and I'm confident I can work around everything else. If I'm making any horrible assumptions regarding 3D development here, please let me know. I walk by Rockstar North studios each day on my way to work and thought about popping in to 'borrow' their RAGE engine, but I'm not sure of the wisdom in that =D