Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

DOS Graphics Programming

Started by PhilHalf Aug 9, 2001 at 7:37 AM 5 replies 1.4k views
Original Post
PhilHalf
PhilHalf
I''ve been trying to learn C++ for a while now and it is finally starting to click. I want to move onto graphics but I''d like more understanding of how to do them. I haven''t started on Windows yet, and I want to learn the why as well as the how. Can anyone recommend any books or sites that might help me? I''m really after the low level stuff so that I can understand how I''m doing it instead of just knowing what to type. Thanks for any help. PhilHalf
PhilHalf
PhilHalf
Thanks for your reply.
I know that DOS is dead and I am only looking for resources to better understand graphics so that I know exactly what a DX/OGL function is doing within a Windows environment.
Are there any sites, or preferably books, that will explain DOS/VGA programming?

Thanks again for any help.

PhilHalf

Edited by - PhilHalf on August 10, 2001 4:43:27 AM
HiddenInBSP
HiddenInBSP
THE Reference for VGA programming: Graphics programming black book (by John Carmack).
PhilHalf
PhilHalf
Thanks for your replies.

HiddenInBSP: I couldn''t find the book that you mentioned. Do you have a link to it on any online bookstores?

AP: I''m not after something that''s simple, I''m specifically looking for low level VGA programming in a DOS environment.

Thanks again for any help.
grahamr
grahamr
JC didn''t write the Black Book. Michael Abrash did. It''s available for download from Dr Dobbs site (www.ddj.com/) but it''s a tad large (150mb). All you really need is the stuff on polygons that make up the latter half of the book.

My advice is to grab a copy of the OpenGL red book and learn from that. Use GLUT to begin with and when you feel a little more confident break out into full windows. NeHe''s site is a good place to begin.


Stay Lucky, Graham "Mournblade" Reeds,
ICQ: 30514803
http://homepage.dtn.ntl.com/grahamr/

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.