Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Favorite comedians?

Started by geo2004 May 7, 2010 at 12:03 PM 34 replies 5.4k views
Original Post
geo2004
geo2004
What are some of your favorite comedians? I love watching/listening to comedians, and would love to find some that I haven't heard. I listen to the Raw Dog and Laugh Attack comedy stations on XM a lot, and they often have some great material. Here are some of my favs, in no particular order. George Lopez Eddie Izzard Pablo Francisco Gabriel Iglesias the Monty Python crew Mitch Hedberg
WavyVirus
WavyVirus
Quote:
Original post by geo2004
What are some of your favorite comedians? I love watching/listening to comedians, and would love to find some that I haven't heard.


Probably the most entertaining and funny thing to listen to (by a long way) for me is the Ricky Gervais XFM show with Karl Pilkington and Stephen Merchant. This is quite literally hours upon hours of unscripted comedy gold and I can practically guarantee that if you listen to a few episodes you will end up listening to every single one religiously.

Otherwise:

Eddie Izzard (agreed!)
Dara O'Briain
Rich Hall
Tim Minchin
Bill Bailey
nilkn
nilkn
I've been watching a few skits from Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry recently on YouTube. Also,
">John Clarke and Bryan Dawe
.
benryves
benryves
I'm a big fan of
">Chris Morris
.
[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]
LessBread
LessBread
What? No Dave Chappelle? No George Carlin? No Richard Pryor? No Robin Williams? No Bill Hicks?

Back when I was in college I went into downtown San Diego with a few buddies to check out another buddy's jazz band and Robin Williams staged an impromptu performance in the bar next door. A huge crowd gathered outside to listen, us included. He was great. That was around 1990.

Check this out: Comedy Central 100 Greatest Standups of all Time

I forgot Rodney Dangerfield.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
rip-off
rip-off
I think my current favourite comedians are Dylan Moran and Bill Bailey.
programmermattc
programmermattc
Probably my all-time favorite is Patton Oswalt. I've only got one of his CD's and I've listened to it many times and always laugh.

Notable mentions also include Lewis Black, Zach Galifianakis, Brian Posehn, and Nick Swardson.

Of course just about all the other comedians already mentioned are pretty outstanding from what I've seen.
=============================RhinoXNA - Easily start building 2D games in XNA!Projects
geo2004
geo2004
Dang, I forgot a few on my list. I want to add Lewis Black, Nick Swardson, and Kevin Hart (saw Kevin Hart live, he's hilarious!).
Silvermyst
Silvermyst
Demetri Martin. But don't watch his show.
You either believe that within your society more individuals are good than evil, and that by protecting the freedom of individuals within that society you will end up with a society that is as fair as possible, or you believe that within your society more individuals are evil than good, and that by limiting the freedom of individuals within that society you will end up with a society that is as fair as possible.
CDProp
CDProp
Eddie Izzard is the only one I like.
dave
dave
Steve Coogan
Al Murray
Lee Evans
The panel of I'm Sorry I Havn't A Clue
Jack Dee
oliii
oliii
No Frankie Boyle? woot!!! \o/
Everything is better with Metal.
mikeman
mikeman
Seth Rogen! How to make a career of comedian by not actually saying anything funny, but by just looking funny! :P

Hm...seriously now...I always liked Peter Sellers. And I suppose he's not considered a 'quality' comedian(I'm not sure though) but I immensely enjoy watching Chevy Chase in pretty much anything...I don't know what is it, he just seems to have like a bubble of surrealism around him or something like that...is it his facial expressions or his voice, I don't know...he delivers lines and you think 'this isn't THAT funny but I just cannot stop laughing my ass off!'. Or that's how I am, anyway. :)

OTOH, Zach Galifianakis, I just don't get him. I've seen him in Hangover(which bored me to death) and Youth in Revolt(in a small role). Ok so he's fat, he has a beard, he farts and burps and stuff...that's it? I don't see how he's funny. Anyway...

On a slightly related note, does anyone find this whole Judd Apatow thing to be a bit overrated? 40 yrold virgin - ok, some decent laughs, but not anything spectacular. Knocked up - kinda seemed like an one-joke movie: "chubby loser hooks up with gorgeous carreer woman'. Funny people - well actually I enjoyed that the most, but it wasn't really so much of a comedy, I think. Like I said, Apatow is ok, but IMO he's being praised too much.
CDProp
CDProp
Yeah I agree about Apatow. 40yo Virgin was great. It was crude, but it had some sweetness. A lot of laughs. Everything else? Meh.
nilkn
nilkn
Quote:
Original post by mikemanOTOH, Zach Galifianakis, I just don't get him. I've seen him in Hangover(which bored me to death) and Youth in Revolt(in a small role). Ok so he's fat, he has a beard, he farts and burps and stuff...that's it? I don't see how he's funny. Anyway...


More often I think it's his social ineptitude, general lack of understanding, bluntness, almost heartfelt innocence, and overweight physique that combine to make him funny--to me at least. It's definitely not the physique alone, though.

I mean, I don't think he's a phenomenal comedian nor is he one of my favorites, but I do find him pretty funny. I really enjoyed The Hangover more or less just because of his character.
Zakwayda
Zakwayda
Patton Oswalt
Brian Regan
Louis C.K.
Jim Gaffigan
Nick Swardson
Mitch Hedberg
ManaStone
ManaStone
I really like Brian Regan and Jim Gaffigan. I have a recollection though of a few times in which Jim Gaffigan had a bit very similar to Regan's after Regan had done it. I only remember one specific example, but I know there were at least two jokes that looked like he may have ripped off from Regan.

Greg Giraldo used to be good, but I think he went a bit down hill the last few times I've seen him.

I like Ron White, but he is the only one I can stand from the Blue Collar Comedy guys.

Daniel Tosh is another good one. I love Tosh.0 and I think he was really funny on his early Comedy Central Presents gig. I loved the line, "Sometimes girls say to me 'I'm not religious, but I'm spiritual.' I like to reply, 'I'm not honest, but you're interesting.'"
-----------------------------Download my real time 3D RPG.
Koobazaur
Koobazaur
No love for Dane Cook?
Comrade, Listen! The Glorious Commonwealth's first Airship has been compromised! Who is the saboteur? Who can be saved? Uncover what the passengers are hiding and write the grisly conclusion of its final hours in an open-ended, player-driven adventure. Dziekujemy! -- Karaski: What Goes Up...
Silvermyst
Silvermyst
And Doug Benson. I saw Sarah about a week before I saw what was one of Carlin's last performances. She blew him out of the water. But they all lose to Demetri.

">Sames and opposites


A squirrel is the same as a can.
When there's a bee-bee gun in my hand.
You either believe that within your society more individuals are good than evil, and that by protecting the freedom of individuals within that society you will end up with a society that is as fair as possible, or you believe that within your society more individuals are evil than good, and that by limiting the freedom of individuals within that society you will end up with a society that is as fair as possible.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.