Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

[INDIE TEAM] We're starting out, recruiting everyone!

Started by ubergames Jun 4, 2010 at 6:53 PM 16 replies 3.8k views
Original Post
ubergames
ubergames
Team name:
Ubergames

Project name:
No name yet.

Brief description:
We're just starting and recruiting to form a complete team. It will be more of a non-obligations work and more in a function of part-time or hobby.Our design is currently focused in an idea of First-Person RPG. Something like "Fallout 3" + "Mass Effect 2" but more linear and not so massive in terms of content. This may change according to ideas/suggestions from team members. We also have in mind including real locations to our game as instances/levels/cities, whatever you want to call it.

Target aim:
Our team's target is not a single specific project. We'll start as people who are interested and want to evolve/learn/study and, who knows, evolve into something commercial.

Compensation:
There will be no kind of remuneration for any case. If we are good enough, we may eventually have some profit, which will be shared in a just way according to the team's preferences, respecting occupations of more importance.

Technology:
We're currently exploring the following tools: Unity, UDK, XNA, Blender, 3ds Max Studio, and many others. Our target platform will be PC, and/or XBOX360 if we choose XNA. If we choose Unity we also have Mac, IPhone and Web. Anyway, PC will always be the 1st choice.

Talent needed:
- 3D (modelling/animation/meshes): Right now what we need the most is 3D artists. Our target candidates are, besides others, students or people that have 3D as a hobby;

- 2D (sprites/textures/concept): We'll also be needing 2D artists. Our target candidates are, besides others, students or people that have 2D as a hobby;

- Voice Actors: In the future, our team will need volunteers that pretend to contribute to our project by borrowing their voices to NPCs inside the game, for example;

- SFX: For a game to be really good, it will need good sound effects. For that reason, our team will need someone responsible for the sound effects used throughout our projects;

- Music: In the future, we'll be needing music for our projects. We have some preference for the typical pleasant and instrumental music of videogames but if you have a band of a more specific style, send us your application anyways! If you're really good it will be an opportunity of free advertising and promotion (You never know, we may have a radio or MP3 player inside the game, where the player can choose to listen Heavy Metal or Punk);

- Game Design (desin/interface/feeling/abstraction/story): Being one of the most prestigious occupations in any game development team, you'll need incredible ideas! You need extreme creativity and knowledge of the game industry, good sense of abstraction, innovative vision and being able to make productive critics!

- Writing (dialogs/story/lore): We have writers in our team but if you have really good ideas, send us your application!

- Programming (engine/physics/events/programming actor classes): We can never have too many programmers. We'll probably use C# or something based on .NET, OOP. We value an open mind, creative spirit and general knowledge about how videogames function.

Besides the occupations listed here, we are open to any suggestion, just that your objective is to colaborate in our project.
I remember that you don't need any professional experience for any of these occupations, most of all we value the knowledge and interest in games. The main function of our team will always be having fun, learn, evolve and making friends.

Team structure:
We're just starting out, that's why we published this in the first place. Anyway, we have quite an elite:
- Yoki: Me! I'm more of a programmer (I'm studying Software Engineering) but I love game design as much (and intend to contribute in that area as much as possible) and I'm interested in pretty much everything about game development. I play games since very new. Played Amiga, SNES, N64, GBC, GBA, NDS and PS2. Currently I'm more of a PC gamer.
I also manage the team and convince talented people to join us.
- Tay: He has already worked with me in several projects, including a CBRPG with 10590 lines of code in C++ for our final high-school project. We got 19/20 (only because the teacher didn't like RPGs. Seriously, she told us so). Tay's also interested in 3D, starting out with Blender and 3ds as a hobby. He helps out with the game design, team management, concept, ideas, and so on. He's overall very versatile and always useful to have around.
- Jonny: He's our ideas man. Very intelligent, he contributes with the team management, design, concept, story, and so on. He's interested in the most varied matters and likes sci-fi a lot and also always useful to have around.
- Misa: She's a talented artist, still studying 3D (Computer Animation degree in England) but she has impressive work in 2D as well. She also has an impressive game knowledge and already reviewed for games.
- Hugo: He's a 2D artist, currently more focused in concept art (he's more into designing characters).
- Sam: He has some of the most impressive 2D art I've ever seen.

We also have 1 more confirmed member that will join us soon (2D artist) and 4 pending.

Website:
Ubergames

Contacts:
ubergames.geral@gmail.com

Previous Work by Team:
As the team we are now, we currently have no projects finished, though you can get the CBRPG I made with Tay and other projects here: Tayoki. It's in the homepage and it says takicode.zip. The password is weloveZZZandhiroshimitsu.
Individually, we have some somewhat heavy portfolios.

Additional Info:
There ISN'T any type of obligation, either team-colaborator or the other way. Your word will be honored if you deserve so.
EVERYONE in the team will be treated the same and be mentioned in all of our projects. In case you're interested in any of these occupations or others, send your application, including everything that may convince us to invite you to the team. CV-like application is ideal but totally unnecessary.

Feedback:
ANY
Brianna Eason
Brianna Eason
Hi there. I'm a composer looking for some new projects. I'll work for free if it's non-commercial. Feel free to check out my demos and let me know if you want to work together. Good luck with your project!

Brianna
http://www.visualcv.com/briannaeason
briannaeason@gmail.com
Brianna EasonComposerhttp://visualcv.com/briannaeasonbriannaeason@gmail.com
Velosco
Velosco
I'm a composer, too. Check out a game demo with my music (I did the first stage music, not the intro) if you want:

http://www.box.net/shared/1zz6y5kvxi

Just Unrar file and double click zephyrus.exe to play. Enjoy!
"There's no cure for gayness..."
ubergames
ubergames
Thanks for your replies.

This idea of indie team is going extremely well, we're receiving something like 3 new members per day and we already have 12 confirmed members in our team doc.
We're just starting out our design doc atm and we're already thinking of making this something commercial. We have members from Portugal, England, Ireland and USA.

Once again, I ask of you to contact us directly to our mail (ubergames.geral@gmail.com) and not in this topic.

We've changed our current priority to 3D animators.

Thanks!
Hardcharger
Hardcharger
Quote:
Original post by ubergames
Thanks for your replies.

This idea of indie team is going extremely well, we're receiving something like 3 new members per day and we already have 12 confirmed members in our team doc.
We're just starting out our design doc atm and we're already thinking of making this something commercial. We have members from Portugal, England, Ireland and USA.

Once again, I ask of you to contact us directly to our mail (ubergames.geral@gmail.com) and not in this topic.

We've changed our current priority to 3D animators.

Thanks!


I'm glad to see that your recruiting is going well. Just be wary that with more people on the team, managing them will become more complex.

Best of luck!
Ryman
Ryman
Quote:
Original post by ubergames
Thanks for your replies.

This idea of indie team is going extremely well, we're receiving something like 3 new members per day and we already have 12 confirmed members in our team doc.
We're just starting out our design doc atm and we're already thinking of making this something commercial. We have members from Portugal, England, Ireland and USA.

Once again, I ask of you to contact us directly to our mail (ubergames.geral@gmail.com) and not in this topic.

We've changed our current priority to 3D animators.

Thanks!


Ummm.. have you ever made a game in your life? How can you expect to create commercial games at the level of "Mass Effect" and "Fallout" when you have no idea how to make a fun game in the first place. Playing games do not count as knowing what the people want, its called experimentation. You will lack it. The only reason you are getting members because they also lack any experience in making games. It is why MMO wannabes get more members than an individual team trying to make a non-mmo flash and/or puzzle game.

The only advice I can offer you is fail and learn fast.
The Communist Duck
The Communist Duck
Quote:
Original post by Ryman
Quote:
Original post by ubergames
Thanks for your replies.

This idea of indie team is going extremely well, we're receiving something like 3 new members per day and we already have 12 confirmed members in our team doc.
We're just starting out our design doc atm and we're already thinking of making this something commercial. We have members from Portugal, England, Ireland and USA.

Once again, I ask of you to contact us directly to our mail (ubergames.geral@gmail.com) and not in this topic.

We've changed our current priority to 3D animators.

Thanks!


Ummm.. have you ever made a game in your life? How can you expect to create commercial games at the level of "Mass Effect" and "Fallout" when you have no idea how to make a fun game in the first place. Playing games do not count as knowing what the people want, its called experimentation. You will lack it. The only reason you are getting members because they also lack any experience in making games. It is why MMO wannabes get more members than an individual team trying to make a non-mmo flash and/or puzzle game.

The only advice I can offer you is fail and learn fast.


I never see them saying 'level' of Fallout 3 and Mass effect. All I see is 'something like', so genre comparison rather than size or quality.

But I can definitely see where you're coming from, but I don't think it's applying in full here.

All I can say is best of luck with the project. I would apply if I had more experience/time on my hands. :D
Rayco
Rayco
Quote:
Original post by ubergames
and/or XBOX360 if we choose XNA.


I wonder how are you gonna fit a first person RPG into 150MB.
We need concept artists for a metrid style 2D side-scroller, If you are interested please contact me at Everebirth@gmail.comThanks!
katami-tech
katami-tech
Hello, I am fairly new to game development but have a passion. I play the electric guitar, acoustic, piano, saxophone, and clarinet. I am fairly talented at art mainly concept. I have recently bought a book on Blender, I will be learning that. I am also very interested in possibly voice acting and SFX. Thanks alot.
ubergames
ubergames
First of all, thanks a lot for bumping :D

@Ryman
How can you criticize without any kind of previous information? Sorry but I call that fail and learn.
Also, one member doesn't make a whole team. We have a lot of experienced people including people with more than 3 years of game dev experience.

@Rayco
We forgot XNA a long time ago, sorry for not updating the original post.

Thanks for your interest :D
pothb
pothb
Quote:
Original post by Rayco
Quote:
Original post by ubergames
and/or XBOX360 if we choose XNA.


I wonder how are you gonna fit a first person RPG into 150MB.


I think they got rid of the maximum sizes by now... you can probably put up a gig or 2 now. Shadow Complex was fairly bigger than 150 mb iirc.
ERICK BiPolar Bear
ERICK BiPolar Bear
Hello. I am from a starting Brazilian studio (na verdade, poderíamos até conversar em português, não?) devoted to game design, scenario and script writing. We also provide consulting in matters regarding historical ambientation, psychological profiles and narrative form. We have graduates in psychology, literature and history, and we are all quite familiar with rpg formats.

We are looking forward to work in serious projects to gain experience in the field of game writing before going professional. You´re project seems reliable and we would be more than glad to assist in any way we can. If you are interested, please send an email.

Respectfully,
Erick (BiPolar Bear studios)
Rayco
Rayco
Quote:
Original post by pothb
Quote:
Original post by Rayco
Quote:
Original post by ubergames
and/or XBOX360 if we choose XNA.


I wonder how are you gonna fit a first person RPG into 150MB.


I think they got rid of the maximum sizes by now... you can probably put up a gig or 2 now. Shadow Complex was fairly bigger than 150 mb iirc.


No they didnt, they did for the Xbox live arcade games but for the comunity games (XNA games) the maximun size is 150MB. Shadow Complex is not an XNA game.


For the OP: I wish you the best of luck.
We need concept artists for a metrid style 2D side-scroller, If you are interested please contact me at Everebirth@gmail.comThanks!
pothb
pothb
Ah. Hmm, I guess I read that wrong.

Just double checked... oh well.
bikokid
bikokid
Hi,

I'd be interested in doing sound design and/or composition for you. I'm also a web developer in case that comes in handy. You can check out some of my sounds here:

http://www.commoncoldinc.com/music/bumptious/bumptious-50cent-rmx.mp3

http://www.commoncoldinc.com/music/bumptious/bumptious-public-enemy-rmx.mp3

http://www.commoncoldinc.com/music/bumptious/null/cast-down.mp3


-matt
http://www.myspace.com/bumptiousness
bikokid@gmail.com
funkycat
funkycat
Hey I'm interested in helping you with you're project. I know a bit of music design at least intermediate using fl studio. I'm also good with ideas and i was thinking that there should be a kamikaze type character in the game to help the main character figure out the mystery.
funkycat
funkycat
oops forgot reply at zhande23@gmail

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.