Original Post
I'm currently in a scholarship program that teaches iPhone dev. I have several years of experience in programming, but I really wanted the stipend. Also, it couldn't hurt to become more acquainted with a popular market.
The course assumed no previous programming experience, so I thought boredom was inevitable. Truth is, I actually ended up angry. The iPhone needed a micro-managed developer profile and $100 from anyone who wanted to develop on [only] their products. Ok, a solid design is always picky about the data it works with. No big deal... right?
The professor preached naive half-truths such as "the computer is always right, and you are always wrong." We had "Apple State Representatives" come into class and advertise products. The class is given the impression that we need Apple to solve problems, not a compiler and gray matter.
The information we are being given is useless. The instructor mentioned that we needed to understand the concept of programming, when 2% of the material had anything to do with it. 20% had to do with syntax, and the rest was about Apple.
Dumbed down material can be a problem to begin with. When companies [competitors] that promote simplicity take over a lesson plan, what lies in the future for the students that listen?
[Edited by - zyrolasting on June 21, 2010 9:42:00 PM]
The course assumed no previous programming experience, so I thought boredom was inevitable. Truth is, I actually ended up angry. The iPhone needed a micro-managed developer profile and $100 from anyone who wanted to develop on [only] their products. Ok, a solid design is always picky about the data it works with. No big deal... right?
The professor preached naive half-truths such as "the computer is always right, and you are always wrong." We had "Apple State Representatives" come into class and advertise products. The class is given the impression that we need Apple to solve problems, not a compiler and gray matter.
The information we are being given is useless. The instructor mentioned that we needed to understand the concept of programming, when 2% of the material had anything to do with it. 20% had to do with syntax, and the rest was about Apple.
Dumbed down material can be a problem to begin with. When companies [competitors] that promote simplicity take over a lesson plan, what lies in the future for the students that listen?
[Edited by - zyrolasting on June 21, 2010 9:42:00 PM]