Original Post
Team name:
Community Contributions Team
Project name:
Void's Edge
Brief description:
I don't post here very often but I have been lurking for a long time. I have seen people try to make a community-created game in the past, but usually after a few days you would stop hearing from them. I believe this is largely due to two causes:
1.) Lack of a leader to make final decisions
2.) Lack on money/incentive
Since I have had a lot of trouble finding help with my budget, I thought I would give this a try.
I have already done a lot of work on this project. Here are some links with some information about the project. The documents are incomplete:
The Void
Races
Gameplay
">Gameplay Video
">Ship Creator Video
">Trading Video
Target aim:
Small monthly fee ($2-3), item shop
Compensation:
Everyone that wants to participate will have to fulfill some unpaid position that should take a negligible amount of time, and requires little skill. In return, you get access to the game and the ability to submit assets for review by me. If I like it and decide it fits the flavor of the game, you will be paid a small amount based on what type of asset it is:
Short description of an item and it's abilities: $.25
Concept art for an item: $.25-$.75 depending on how detailed it is
Final game quality artwork for an item: $1.00-$4.00 depending on the size (sizes range from 15x6 pixels to ~200x100 pixels)
Animations: $.10-$.50 per frame, depending on the size. This is in addition to the payment for doing the asset itself/first frame.
$1.00 per single-spaced size 12 page of well-written lore that fits in the universe
Sound effects: $.25-$1.00 depending on the length/quality of the sound effect
Theme song for the game: *$10.00*
I have budgeted $50.00 for this for this month. If it goes extremely well, I will consider adding more to the budget before my next paycheck next month.
If you feel these rewards are unfair, feel free to make a post. Please keep in mind though that this is supposed to be a fun community-made project, with a little added incentive -- not to provide rent money for professionals.
All payments will be made through PayPal.
Technology:
javascript/PHP<br/>Right now the networking engine is AJAX, and the graphics engine is a mix of Canvas and Div's. I am in the process of converting the game fully to WebSocket/Canvas.<br/><br/><b>Talent needed:</b><br/>1x Community Manager (Create/manage the forum for the community)<br/>10x+ Alpha Testers (Be on MSN messenger and be willing to help me test networking code. Show up to pre-scheduled stress-tests unless you mention well before-hand that you won't be able to make it)<br/><br/><b>Team structure:</b><br/>Nathan(me): 1.5 years, Programmer/Project Manager/Artist/whatever else needs doing<br/>Mike: ~1 month. He is a professional artist I hire a few days a month to act as the lead artist on the project to develop a consistent art style for the game.<br/><br/><b>Contacts:</b><br/>Email/MSN address: maximus_705@hotmail.com<br/><br/><b>Previous Work by Team:</b><br/>BSc in Computer Science from Ohio University<br/>Currently working on a fellowship/working towards my MSc<br/><a href="http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2447228&id=12331996&l=8cfffad408">Screens of a guitar hero clone I made in Unity</a><br/><a href="http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2268702&id=12331996&l=dac8e82b38">Screens of some OpenGL games I made as part of my undergrad coursework, and some from this project (near the end)</a><br/><br/><b>Feedback:</b><br/>ANY<br/><br/><!--EDIT--><span class="editedby"><!--/EDIT-->[Edited by - MortusMaximus on July 4, 2010 1:29:12 AM]<!--EDIT--></span><!--/EDIT-->
Community Contributions Team
Project name:
Void's Edge
Brief description:
I don't post here very often but I have been lurking for a long time. I have seen people try to make a community-created game in the past, but usually after a few days you would stop hearing from them. I believe this is largely due to two causes:
1.) Lack of a leader to make final decisions
2.) Lack on money/incentive
Since I have had a lot of trouble finding help with my budget, I thought I would give this a try.
I have already done a lot of work on this project. Here are some links with some information about the project. The documents are incomplete:
The Void
Races
Gameplay
">Gameplay Video
">Ship Creator Video
">Trading Video
Target aim:
Small monthly fee ($2-3), item shop
Compensation:
Everyone that wants to participate will have to fulfill some unpaid position that should take a negligible amount of time, and requires little skill. In return, you get access to the game and the ability to submit assets for review by me. If I like it and decide it fits the flavor of the game, you will be paid a small amount based on what type of asset it is:
Short description of an item and it's abilities: $.25
Concept art for an item: $.25-$.75 depending on how detailed it is
Final game quality artwork for an item: $1.00-$4.00 depending on the size (sizes range from 15x6 pixels to ~200x100 pixels)
Animations: $.10-$.50 per frame, depending on the size. This is in addition to the payment for doing the asset itself/first frame.
$1.00 per single-spaced size 12 page of well-written lore that fits in the universe
Sound effects: $.25-$1.00 depending on the length/quality of the sound effect
Theme song for the game: *$10.00*
I have budgeted $50.00 for this for this month. If it goes extremely well, I will consider adding more to the budget before my next paycheck next month.
If you feel these rewards are unfair, feel free to make a post. Please keep in mind though that this is supposed to be a fun community-made project, with a little added incentive -- not to provide rent money for professionals.
All payments will be made through PayPal.
Technology:
javascript/PHP<br/>Right now the networking engine is AJAX, and the graphics engine is a mix of Canvas and Div's. I am in the process of converting the game fully to WebSocket/Canvas.<br/><br/><b>Talent needed:</b><br/>1x Community Manager (Create/manage the forum for the community)<br/>10x+ Alpha Testers (Be on MSN messenger and be willing to help me test networking code. Show up to pre-scheduled stress-tests unless you mention well before-hand that you won't be able to make it)<br/><br/><b>Team structure:</b><br/>Nathan(me): 1.5 years, Programmer/Project Manager/Artist/whatever else needs doing<br/>Mike: ~1 month. He is a professional artist I hire a few days a month to act as the lead artist on the project to develop a consistent art style for the game.<br/><br/><b>Contacts:</b><br/>Email/MSN address: maximus_705@hotmail.com<br/><br/><b>Previous Work by Team:</b><br/>BSc in Computer Science from Ohio University<br/>Currently working on a fellowship/working towards my MSc<br/><a href="http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2447228&id=12331996&l=8cfffad408">Screens of a guitar hero clone I made in Unity</a><br/><a href="http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2268702&id=12331996&l=dac8e82b38">Screens of some OpenGL games I made as part of my undergrad coursework, and some from this project (near the end)</a><br/><br/><b>Feedback:</b><br/>ANY<br/><br/><!--EDIT--><span class="editedby"><!--/EDIT-->[Edited by - MortusMaximus on July 4, 2010 1:29:12 AM]<!--EDIT--></span><!--/EDIT-->