Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Modelling Program

Started by Dreeka Jul 4, 2010 at 3:41 AM 4 replies 950+ views
Original Post
Dreeka
Dreeka
Hello!

I would like to start developing a game, but I dont know which modelling program should I use.
I will use Unity as a game engine and it support 3ds Max, Maya, Blender, Cinema 4D, Cheetah3D, and I think Lightwave 3d.

What should be the best choice for a beginner? Also, which has the best tutorials about building objects for games?

Thanks :)
magorian
magorian
I would recommend Blender, mainly because it is free, so it's probably a good place to start for a beginner. On the Blender website there is an Education section that has some tutorials, books and such.

I am not an artist though, so I can't comment on the pros/cons of each modelling package, which one is easiest to use etc.
"Buy heaps of coffee, Coffee is a boon to all programmers." - elegantmoron
Dreeka
Dreeka
I have heard that Blender's interface is not the best, most of the features is binded to a hotkey, and cant be found in the interface.
PrestoChung
PrestoChung
Hey, I love hotkeys. You can do a lot more and faster with 10 fingers than 2
Daaark
Daaark
Quote:
Original post by Dreeka
I have heard that Blender's interface is not the best, most of the features is binded to a hotkey, and cant be found in the interface.
That's highly outdated.

Blender 2.49 and Blender 2.5 are much different. The 3 most used commands are scale, translate, and rotate, mapped to to S,G, and R, repsectively. It helps you keep one hand on the keyboard, and one hand on the mouse to work very quickly.

Most every command can be entered with the mouse through menus, but it's much faster to just hit the appropriate key.

If you watch a lot of tutorial videos on Vimeo, you'll get the hang of Blender very quickly.

http://www.blendercookie.com/getting-started-with-blender/
http://www.blendercookie.com/category/all/tutorials/interface/

Dreeka
Dreeka
Okay, thanks :)

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.