Original Post
Hi all. I am developing a multiplayer isometric view strategy game and I've come to the important time of choosing a networking model and was hoping to get some input from people here about which would be the best to go forward with.
Firstly, here is some information about the game:
- The game levels are fairly straight forward. There are a number of tiles, the game is played on a 2D grid containing certain obstacles.
- Each player (up to a total of 4 players) controls a squad of up to 6 men. There are also a few other AI controlled units in a level, probably not more than 20.
- I am using TCP for networking.
Now I think I have 2 options when it comes to the networking. I can either go with a standard client server model, where the server receives input, runs the game and sends out positions of visible things in the world to each client. Alternatively I can go with one of these "locked step" implementations that I have been reading about. This would mean running an identical simulation on every client at exactly the same time.
For my situation, which solution do you think would be more appropriate? I am leaning towards client-server as it is simpler, but given the number of units in the game do you think this would be too slow?
Thanks in advance.
Firstly, here is some information about the game:
- The game levels are fairly straight forward. There are a number of tiles, the game is played on a 2D grid containing certain obstacles.
- Each player (up to a total of 4 players) controls a squad of up to 6 men. There are also a few other AI controlled units in a level, probably not more than 20.
- I am using TCP for networking.
Now I think I have 2 options when it comes to the networking. I can either go with a standard client server model, where the server receives input, runs the game and sends out positions of visible things in the world to each client. Alternatively I can go with one of these "locked step" implementations that I have been reading about. This would mean running an identical simulation on every client at exactly the same time.
For my situation, which solution do you think would be more appropriate? I am leaning towards client-server as it is simpler, but given the number of units in the game do you think this would be too slow?
Thanks in advance.