Original Post
Hello there,
I'm creating a rather simple game but am trying to give it a deep and well thought out game story and was wondering how you would tackle the following problem, I have a few ideas but these are mostly all too simple and I wanted to go for something more innovative.
The problem is that I have lots of stories/reports/descriptions/art/lore pieces that describe everything from history and culture to characters and technology. Think the Codex in Mass Effect. My problem is that I don't want to just give the information to the player, as in a big bulk I don't think the causal player would read it and I want it to be some what of an achievement to collect/find/achieve all the data pieces. I have the following ideas on how to deal with this;
1 - Data pieces are given along the campaign in small chunks
2 - Data pieces are only given when a player completes a secondary objective (bonus)
3 - The player must look out for data pads through out the main game and collect these
4 - The player must play a hacker mini-game in which they are rewarded with a data piece
None of these ideas seem to appealing to me, there must be another way? Any ideas would be helpful?
Thanks.
I'm creating a rather simple game but am trying to give it a deep and well thought out game story and was wondering how you would tackle the following problem, I have a few ideas but these are mostly all too simple and I wanted to go for something more innovative.
The problem is that I have lots of stories/reports/descriptions/art/lore pieces that describe everything from history and culture to characters and technology. Think the Codex in Mass Effect. My problem is that I don't want to just give the information to the player, as in a big bulk I don't think the causal player would read it and I want it to be some what of an achievement to collect/find/achieve all the data pieces. I have the following ideas on how to deal with this;
1 - Data pieces are given along the campaign in small chunks
2 - Data pieces are only given when a player completes a secondary objective (bonus)
3 - The player must look out for data pads through out the main game and collect these
4 - The player must play a hacker mini-game in which they are rewarded with a data piece
None of these ideas seem to appealing to me, there must be another way? Any ideas would be helpful?
Thanks.