Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Windows XP, Microsoft, Nvidia & Developer Drivers

Started by andy_boy Aug 3, 2010 at 3:39 PM 3 replies 1.3k views
Original Post
andy_boy
andy_boy
Okay, so I've decided to spend the remaining summer building up a strong programming foundation.

Eventually I'm going to go the opengl route.

I only have a GL 2.1 capable card available.

But at least the updated superbible is out.

But it is for GL 3.3 but luckily as it turns out, nvidia just recently also came out with a developer driver that even has 2.1 extensions for 4.1 capabilities.

The problem is when I tried to install the developer driver, I got a message stating that it could cause current and future problems for my XP GL 2.1 machine.

So does MS support nvidias' developer drivers for windows xp?

And if not, then what are my options for getting a driver that'll let me use GL 4.1 capabilities on a GL 2.1 graphics card?

Palidine
Palidine
Quote:
Original post by andy_boy
So does MS support nvidias' developer drivers for windows xp?


In the case of drivers it's not MS supporting them, it's the drivers supporting the particular operating system. Since MS has dropped support for XP, my guess is that NVidia has too.

NVidia is basically warning you that their drivers don't strictly support XP. Upgrade your 10+ year old OS [smile]

-me
andy_boy
andy_boy
Quote:
Original post by Palidine

In the case of drivers it's not MS supporting them, it's the drivers supporting the particular operating system. Since MS has dropped support for XP, my guess is that NVidia has too.

NVidia is basically warning you that their drivers don't strictly support XP. Upgrade your 10+ year old OS [smile]

-me


Since when did MS drop XP?

I'm curious because I just did an update.

nobodynews
nobodynews
Quote:
Original post by andy_boy
Quote:
Original post by Palidine

In the case of drivers it's not MS supporting them, it's the drivers supporting the particular operating system. Since MS has dropped support for XP, my guess is that NVidia has too.

NVidia is basically warning you that their drivers don't strictly support XP. Upgrade your 10+ year old OS [smile]

-me


Since when did MS drop XP?

I'm curious because I just did an update.
MS supports XP Service Pack 3. All other releases of XP are not supported. <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP#Support_lifecycle&lt;/a>Citation.
C++: A Dialog | C++0x Features: Part1 (lambdas, auto, static_assert) , Part 2 (rvalue references) ,
andy_boy
andy_boy
Okay now that we're clear that MS still supports XP, I still would like to get my hands on nvidia's developer driver.

Was it because it was an early version that I got that message?

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.