Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Laptops for developing

Started by zjay87 Aug 5, 2010 at 10:46 AM 10 replies 5.2k views
Original Post
zjay87
zjay87
This fall I am doing a independent study of the Unreal Engine 3.
I was wondering what laptop would be best to run the engine?
My only option I can think of so far is either Alienware M11x or M15x.
Windryder
Windryder
How much are you looking to spend? You haven't specified an amount, so for all we know you could throw an infinite stack of money at the problem. :)

Edit: Also, what exactly do you mean by an independent study? Will you be developing a game from scratch based on UE3? Bear in mind that the requirements may vary greatly depending on the type of game and the design choices you make.
Dunge
Dunge
The only laptops I saw worth being qualified as "gamer" (with a good video card and 1080p screen) are the one from Sager and the Asus G series.
jpetrie
jpetrie
Moving to hardware.
Westie007
Westie007
I develop on the Alienware M11x. It's actually pretty handy as it has two different level graphics cards in it that you can swap between on a button press, which means you can test your games on two gfx cards very easily.

I have code which also runs on PS3 performing quite nicely on it.
zjay87
zjay87
Thats cool. I want to spend a max of 1500.
I am going to be designing levels using the Unreal editor kit and learning
how to use UnrealScript.
Also will be using C++ with DirectX thats all.

@Westie007 what types of things you were able to develop on your M11x.
Dunge
Dunge
I just checked it, 1366x768 resolution and 335M gfx card... not that good.
Windryder
Windryder
Got any particular reason for wanting a laptop? As I'm sure you know, the cost/performance ratio is much lower for a desktop than a laptop. If you need to use it in class, why not pick up a cheap, somewhat small laptop or even a netbook, and do your development on a desktop computer?
zjay87
zjay87
A laptop is portable.
I know desktops are good but I am not home most of the time.
I enjoy working on a laptop and I can work with it everywhere.
I am getting alot of mix answers here.
Westie007
Westie007
I've been developing a PSN game on it for a while now, it's more than enough to handle anything a hobby game developer can throw at it and obviously I'm using it professionally as well. The laptop can run Left for Dead 2 at max settings over 30 fps and handle Modern Warfare 2 pretty well.

It's a small laptop, only 12 inches, so it's a nice portable dev environment.

Obviously it's not the most powerful gaming laptop, but it's size is a massive advantage for me.

Of course, it depends on what you want.

I bought the M11x because it was small and portable, has good battery life and can play DirectX 10 games pretty well at 720p resolutions.

It's also not too small to make programming fiddly.

@Dunge: It's a 12" inch laptop. You'd be pretty hard pressed to beat it's specs...

[Edited by - Westie007 on August 5, 2010 2:49:27 PM]
svr2112
svr2112
The best you can do is to take the battery off every time it's fully charged and you are in a place where you can keep the laptop plugged to the wall.

Batteries life is determined in Cycles. 1 Cycle equal 1 discharge + 1 charge.

Charging you battery when it's half empty won't damage the battery itself but will make you run thru cycles twice faster, thus, it will kill your battery twice faster.

Never, never, keep the laptop plugged in with the battery in fully charged for a long period of time..... This is the mistake most people make, it prematurely kills the battery.

_________

Funeral Insurance| Funeral Cover
deathtrap
deathtrap
Quote:
Original post by svr2112
The best you can do is to take the battery off every time it's fully charged and you are in a place where you can keep the laptop plugged to the wall.

Batteries life is determined in Cycles. 1 Cycle equal 1 discharge + 1 charge.

Charging you battery when it's half empty won't damage the battery itself but will make you run thru cycles twice faster, thus, it will kill your battery twice faster.

Never, never, keep the laptop plugged in with the battery in fully charged for a long period of time..... This is the mistake most people make, it prematurely kills the battery.


This used to be the case a long time ago. Todays laptops include circuitry to always use the mains power if the laptop is plugged in instead of using the battery. I have Asus and Toshiba laptops and they both do this. Even my netbook does this. So taking the battery out is pointless since while plugged in the laptop doesn't use the power from the battery, and the battery will lose a slight charge (due to the nature of lithium batteries) whether it's connected to the laptop or not. So just leave it in and forget about it.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.