Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Game Engines choice?

Started by synok Aug 6, 2010 at 1:12 PM 8 replies 1.7k views
Original Post
synok
synok
Hey,

I dont know if this is the wrong forum or anything, but anyways,
im 20 years this Sep and im seriously into having a smaller team or something making a good game, so I want to try making something original, like Final Fantasy 7 type of game with modeling done in 3ds Max. Or maybe something like Shenmue. So these are two totally different genres, therefor, but not in all cases different engines are needed. Is there a good game engine to make something like a FF7 game or possibly anything like Shenmue, ironically with a realtime world in Shenmue and pre-rendered graphics in FF7.

I searched for Crystal Tools, which is commercial, also I didnt find too much info on it. For Shenmue-like game though I believe Trinigy Vision can make it?

I dont have anything against commercial engines though as we have a small capital
to pay for a license.

Thx guys,

- Lars.
EvilNando
EvilNando
go with unity3d

chipin for a license (its not expensive) and start messing with the engine is awesome (you can build for the pc, iphone, wii at the same time) and it starting to get some demand at the pro level so you will be building a nice CV


synok
synok
Yeah, I tried Unity Engine, but not too much. Just messed around with it. So is there a way to do pretty much any game in it? I mean so it wont stick to a certain genre like FPS, etc, I can build games like Shenmue or Final Fantasy with the "not latest" version of it? Talking about previous versions of Unity 3.

Also, is there any other engine? And can I use Trinigy too for my goal?

EDIT: Does Unity have support to Blender model files and animation?

Thanks,
colossal
colossal
synok,

Almost any engine is going to be able to do what you want to do. So just pick one and go with it.
Software Engineer | Credited Titles: League of Legends, Hearthstone
synok
synok
Oh okay, is there any engine I should stay away from regarding what I aim for?
Windryder
Windryder
Quote:
Original post by synok
Oh okay, is there any engine I should stay away from regarding what I aim for?


Yes, probably 99 out of 100 engines you find. There are way too many 3D engines available for cheap these days, and once you start looking at them you realize that the vast majority is junk. If an engine is good, chances are people have heard of it. If people have heard of it and like it, chances are they've made games with it. Far too many engines exist today that haven't really been combat proven. If the engine's website shows off some real, commercial games that have been made with that engine, it's a start.

Based on personal experience, I'm going to advise you to stay away from the Torque engines. Some people may disagree with me on this, but my experience with TGE and TGEA has been that they are badly documented, poorly designed and difficult to work with.

Unity3D and C4 Engine tend to get positive comments around here. They're both worth a look.
synok
synok
I checked out GameBryo Lightspeed 3, or something like that. Is that something
I can take prior to with my goals? Something that got me really inspired and
which hit the X was the Heavens demo from the Unigine Engine, thats something I
want to create. I believe it can be done in the Gamebryo Lightspeed Engine?
Windryder
Windryder
Quote:
Original post by synok
I checked out GameBryo Lightspeed 3, or something like that.


Gamebryo's licensing model appears to be "contact us for pricing". If you're an indie developer on a tight budget, that's usually a bad sign. I haven't been in contact with the Gamebryo team, and I have no clue as to what the per-title licensing cost might be for a game like yours, but I'm guessing that you're better off trying one of the engines I mentioned earlier.

If you think Unreal looks promising, take a look at UDK, which is basically UE3 without source.

synok
synok
I guess I'll try out Gamebryo anyways. Thanks!
Windryder
Windryder
Quote:
Original post by synok
I guess I'll try out Gamebryo anyways. Thanks!


Suit yourself. Be prepared to spend a lot of money though -- that's typically the way it works when prices are not public. All of the other engines brought up here are fairly cheap (the one with the highest startup cost is probably C4, at $300/seat right now) and highly capable.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.