Original Post
Has anyone implemented 'Precomputed atmospheric scattering'?
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=c ... scattering
I have been researching it these past couple days, and it definitely looks like the 'top' technique for nice looking scattering from both ground and space. However, I remember playing around with a demo based on Sean O'Neils method, and I recall it was very difficult to tweak the colors. You cant really expect an artist (or most of us for that matter) to understand how Rayleigh and Mie scattering work, so your only option is to blindly change the numbers and hope you get lucky. This always seemed silly to me, because an artist already knows (in his mind, or from a photograph) what color he wants the sky to be at a given time. It just seems like a more 'artist friendly' version of atmospheric scattering would be nice, especially in situations where you wanted to control the colors for non earth alien worlds.
A while back I played around with ways to achieve atmospheric scattering with simple 'artist drawn' lookup tables (basically the same idea from the "A fast, simple model to render sky color using gradient maps" paper, just adapted to planet rendering) . It had some problems, but it 'worked' (the entire sky was colored based on a simple hand drawn texture). I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on alternative strategies like this?
Thanks
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=c ... scattering
I have been researching it these past couple days, and it definitely looks like the 'top' technique for nice looking scattering from both ground and space. However, I remember playing around with a demo based on Sean O'Neils method, and I recall it was very difficult to tweak the colors. You cant really expect an artist (or most of us for that matter) to understand how Rayleigh and Mie scattering work, so your only option is to blindly change the numbers and hope you get lucky. This always seemed silly to me, because an artist already knows (in his mind, or from a photograph) what color he wants the sky to be at a given time. It just seems like a more 'artist friendly' version of atmospheric scattering would be nice, especially in situations where you wanted to control the colors for non earth alien worlds.
A while back I played around with ways to achieve atmospheric scattering with simple 'artist drawn' lookup tables (basically the same idea from the "A fast, simple model to render sky color using gradient maps" paper, just adapted to planet rendering) . It had some problems, but it 'worked' (the entire sky was colored based on a simple hand drawn texture). I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on alternative strategies like this?
Thanks