Original Post
For lack of a better word, how are 'tickers' (things that make time tick by and events happen in browser games) implemented?
I could think of a few ways.
-cronjob (linux dependent and useless to me since i run a windows server)
-server itself has something running like a 'update.php' page with a meta/jvs refresh timer
-windows scheduler or something which isn't really any different from option #2
-cgi script (not really sure how to do this but it seems like it might be the most common solution. that's just a guess though)
I was hoping for a more logical solution than having to have a webpage open on my server in order for my game world to be alive.
I could think of a few ways.
-cronjob (linux dependent and useless to me since i run a windows server)
-server itself has something running like a 'update.php' page with a meta/jvs refresh timer
-windows scheduler or something which isn't really any different from option #2
-cgi script (not really sure how to do this but it seems like it might be the most common solution. that's just a guess though)
I was hoping for a more logical solution than having to have a webpage open on my server in order for my game world to be alive.