Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

OpenGL 3 software implementation?

Started by agottem Sep 13, 2010 at 11:38 AM 1 replies 1.1k views
Original Post
agottem
agottem
I'm interested in doing some initial development targeting OpenGL 3. Unfortunately, my hardware is ~4 years out of date, and it doesn't look like ATI provides any drivers for my video card which support the newer OpenGL API's.

Are there any software implementations of the OpenGL 3 API's? I'm aware the performance will likely be dreadfully slow, but it'd be enough to hold me over until I can purchase some new hardware :)
Aks9
Aks9
The last known GL software implementation is published by Mesa3D and it supports GL 2.1. What is your graphics card? If it supports SM4, it should support GL3 also. The first SM4 cards are released at 2006 (about the same time you bought yours, but probably you were not so lucky to by the state of the art in that time). If I'm right it was GF8800. A software implementation is about two orders of magnitude slower then hardware ones. My advice is to forget about it and buy the least price graphics card that you can. You will almost certainly get GL 3.3 compatible card, of course if avoid Intel. :)
Dunge
Dunge
Yeah for less than 50$ you probably can get something who support it, and 100$ something running at good speed. Why bother with old hardware?

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.