Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Semi turn based strategy/defence game idea

Started by Freko Oct 8, 2010 at 4:54 PM 7 replies 1.7k views
Original Post
Freko
Freko
Yo!

So I´m about to try to put all my knowledge of game programming into a game. (well, I have done games before, but only small like snake and pacman clones etc)
I have been working on a iso engine recently and are ready to move forward.
whatever..and an idea I came up with while trying to sleep is this.

You start out owning a farm, maybe just a tent and a cow..and here´s nothing new, it´s just like any strategy game. you need to gather food, to sell and to feed the ppl working for you and to build new structures and fields. and buying a pig maybe.. well you get the point

but then, every night or maybe once a week, haven´t really decided yet, you´re getting attacked by werewolves. so you have to build the farm so u can defend it, fence around your animals, stronger buildings etc etc. hire knights, traps etc.

so what you think ? succes or big failure aká Sweden tries to take Poltava 1709?
TechnoGoth
TechnoGoth
There's an ancient game call Hordes you should take a look at.
Basically the game is divided into two modes build and defend.
In build mode you build traps, walls, plant crops, buy cows, and magic items, and defenders. During the defend mode you are attacked by a set number of monsters who try and eat your crops, cows, and destroy your village. Which you had kill using by running around and hit them with your sword, using magic items, or just relaying on traps and defenders.

You earned gold after each defend round based on the numbers of crops and cows you had left. Crops had to be replanted each round but cows were more valuable and produced regular income. It was a fun and challenging game.
Freko
Freko
Interesting! Will check it out. Thanks
Palidine
Palidine
Also sounds like the beginning of Minecraft and loosely the Civilization games. Definitely a solid concept.

-me
Orymus
Orymus
I was gonna say that. Very Minecraft like.
And based on the recent success of minecraft (roughly raing 3 million euros already, and still in alpha) I think you have a decent concept.
I'm not too much in the 'farm' theme myself, but based on the up to 83 million players that went for farmville, I'd say you have something nice going there.

If I may give my personal advice, try not to crap in too many features, and simply make sure each feature is strong and as customizable by the player as possible.
One of the greatest successes of minecraft is how it lets the player do 'anything' based on very simple rules. The most advanced features don't bring as much fun as the lego-feeling in there.

Definitely good luck :)
The fact you were there before they invented the wheel doesn't make you any better than the wheel nor does it entitle you to claim property over the wheel. Being there at the right time just isn't enough, you need to take part into it.

I have a blog!
EqualityAssignment
EqualityAssignment
There was a genre in the warcraft 3 custom map scene that was kind of like this, but of course, multiplayer, and one player was the baddie (sometimes secertly) and had to be ganged up on eventually. LOTS of fun games there. Your idea definitely has potential. If you've got a friend with a copy of wc3 installed, you can check that out.

Were you thinking of making this turn based? With the defense component being more like a tower defense, or real time, with the defense component being very intense, with micromanagement to e.g. surround the werewolf with your knights? Or maybe a happy medium?

>I'm not too much in the 'farm' theme myself, but based on the up to 83 million players that went for farmville, I'd say you have something nice going there.

Harvest moon as well.
Kylotan
Kylotan
It also sounds a lot like Dungeon Keeper, or Hinterland.
Freko
Freko
Quote:
Original post by EqualityAssignment
Were you thinking of making this turn based? With the defense component being more like a tower defense, or real time, with the defense component being very intense, with micromanagement to e.g. surround the werewolf with your knights? Or maybe a happy medium?

Well, I thought the building phase could be turn based-ish, so you can build, sell stuff, move units to "start position", and then when you´re happy and out of cash you go to night-mode and the attackers arrive, and here it´s real-time, u can move your guards and so on.

[Edited by - Freko on October 12, 2010 1:43:55 PM]
Freko
Freko
also, I haven´t really decided the theme yet. I sure could make it in sci-fi or wild west. but the concept should be the same.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.