Original Post
Turn based strategy game, XVIII-XIX century.
I try to implement a research system with these properities:
- give strategic choices to player (obvious)
- the researched technology (research points) has to be also implemented (construction cost), for example you first invent steam engine and then you also have to construct the steam engine project so your factories can use it (as a global thing, maybe like minor wonders in Civilization?)
- research level should act as tutorial, or limiting complexity (so some things are disabled at the beginning and later are unlocked in order to reduce the shock of a new player due to complexity).
While separately these are easy to make the mix of 3 at once is more tricky...
Alternatively, there could be some unlockable by player "eras" which might act as something.
Another thing I'm thinking of is using education for something, preferably as something not related to science (global bonus to production due to educated workers being more productive). Like you build university to increase science and schools to increase education. There could be also a resource "paper" which might be used for something.
I know what I wrote is messy and do not fit together and some of these will have to be removed, use it just as a base of your thought and propose how would you do something similar to this.
I try to implement a research system with these properities:
- give strategic choices to player (obvious)
- the researched technology (research points) has to be also implemented (construction cost), for example you first invent steam engine and then you also have to construct the steam engine project so your factories can use it (as a global thing, maybe like minor wonders in Civilization?)
- research level should act as tutorial, or limiting complexity (so some things are disabled at the beginning and later are unlocked in order to reduce the shock of a new player due to complexity).
While separately these are easy to make the mix of 3 at once is more tricky...
Alternatively, there could be some unlockable by player "eras" which might act as something.
Another thing I'm thinking of is using education for something, preferably as something not related to science (global bonus to production due to educated workers being more productive). Like you build university to increase science and schools to increase education. There could be also a resource "paper" which might be used for something.
I know what I wrote is messy and do not fit together and some of these will have to be removed, use it just as a base of your thought and propose how would you do something similar to this.