Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

RIP Torque and Gamebryo

Started by eedok Nov 11, 2010 at 2:45 PM 10 replies 4.1k views
Original Post
eedok
eedok
Sources:
Emergent Technologies to Liquidate Assets
Instant Action winding down operations

Could kind of see why both of these are going down, Bethesda was a big customer for Gamebryo, but since the Id Buyout I don't see them buying out a company then not using the engine, and I can't really think of many other companies that were big customers for Gamebryo

As for Torque, the time I thought it was done was when Unity launched for windows and my Unity proficiency surpassed my Torque proficiency during the trial of Unity, whereas I had several months in Torque and instead of them pushing to make Torque easier to understand/use they went forward with creating more SKU's instead.

Weird to see 2 engines go so close together though
onfu
onfu
Does Unity have any peers left for the lower-end cost indie scene?
HostileExpanse
HostileExpanse
Quote:
Original post by onfu
Does Unity have any peers left for the lower-end cost indie scene?


Possibly, C4.
Luckless
Luckless
There is also a range of open source/open use options which are free and not restricted in their use for commercial games, such as Panda3D.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
FableFox
FableFox
Not to be insensitive, but they had it coming, I guess. I'm one of the early adopters (buying the engine so they can buy the code), and I don't like their attitude from day one of purchasing the engine. but it old news and I'm not in the mood to rant, people are losing their jobs.

The way epic is treating UDK free user are more better than GG treat engine owner, at least in the early days. They had many chances to get it right, but they didn't. I never bothered upgrading the engine when they move from Torque to TorqueX/3D or something. I think they suffered the same 'let's make this product awesome' instead of 'let's make this product easy to use', and a lot of improvement must be purchased separately. I don't know, I stopped caring about it a long long time ago. I knew Torque is done the moment UDK is available for free, ASK.com or not ASK.com related.
Zipster
Zipster
Another Las Vegas developer shuts down... there's so few of us now [sad]
MarkS
MarkS
I don't know anything about Torque, but I know that Bethesda had one hell of a time working with Gamebryo. Simple things like frustum and backface culling isn't (wasn't?) possible without a rewrite of the engine code, so everything is sent to the GPU. Now, that isn't such a big deal, but when Oblivion was released, it was and it is the primary reason Oblivion was used to benchmark graphics cards for so long.

I haven't been on Bethesda's forums in quite some time, but I remember that many of the items on most people's wish lists for The Elder Scrolls V couldn't be done due to engine limitations. Maybe this is a good thing. Either the engine will die or a developer will pick it up and update it.
No, I am not a professional programmer. I'm just a hobbyist having fun...
rian carnarvon
rian carnarvon
Well, part of the issue Bethesda had with it was they bought the engine back when it was Netimmerse in the late 90's and branched the code for TES. By the time Oblivion had rolled around, they had a heavily customized version and were having issues integrating some of the newer gamebryo features into their branched copy.

Least, that's the way I heard it. Either way, the engine is pretty aweful for any intensive games. Hopefully this marks the end of it being used as a middleware solution.
Slateboard
Slateboard
I guess it's a good thing I was so hesitant to get into Torque.
KaptainKomunist
KaptainKomunist
well, since zenimax is the publisher for id now, maybe they can use id tech 5 for their next engine?

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.