Original Post
Hello you!
I've been growing more and more fond of game developing and have lately set my goal at creating my very own tile game. Oh, do note; I'm not trying to get an engine going, i just want a platform i can start experimenting with. Anyway!
So, i want 3 layers of tiles, with the size 32x32 at the playfield of 1028x768. That adds up to 2208 tiles that need to be rendered each frame. Currently that works just fine on my computer, but when i switch to something with a little less performance, my fps drop by 99%. This has made me realize that i need to optimize my drawing. Right now im drawing in immediate mode, which i've found out is not the best thing to do. I've been looking into Vertex Buffers aswell, but i'm not really sure what to use since im new at the openGL front.
My question to you is; How should i think when optimizing such a thing?
I've been growing more and more fond of game developing and have lately set my goal at creating my very own tile game. Oh, do note; I'm not trying to get an engine going, i just want a platform i can start experimenting with. Anyway!
So, i want 3 layers of tiles, with the size 32x32 at the playfield of 1028x768. That adds up to 2208 tiles that need to be rendered each frame. Currently that works just fine on my computer, but when i switch to something with a little less performance, my fps drop by 99%. This has made me realize that i need to optimize my drawing. Right now im drawing in immediate mode, which i've found out is not the best thing to do. I've been looking into Vertex Buffers aswell, but i'm not really sure what to use since im new at the openGL front.
My question to you is; How should i think when optimizing such a thing?