Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Any tips for a novice?

Started by Luxon Nov 29, 2010 at 4:51 AM 5 replies 1.8k views
Original Post
Luxon
Luxon
I've been following some of the tutorials from cg.tutsplus.com/ and was beginning to feel as though I had a better understanding of how to work with 3ds Max to create decent content. When I'm following a tutorial I do rather well (as I'm sure most do) but when I try to incorporate some of the modeling techniques I've learned from the tutorials into my own ideas I can never seem to make things look right. My workflow is also sloppy.

So what I came to ask is if anyone had any advice to give to better myself with 3d? Tips/tricks when modeling, better workflow, anything really. I'd appreciate any advice.
TyrianFin
TyrianFin
First try testing all tools. (know your enemy :) )
Next, start from simple models. (learn to walk before running)
Last, repeat is mother of learning. (do it 100 times, and 101. goes faster than first one :) )

If you have problems with outlook, try first doing model with minimal details.
(try to learn what are primary things for model to be recognized)

/Tyrian

Ps. And if you wish to be smart, examine model files made by professionals :)
Luxon
Luxon
Many thanks TyrianFin. I really appreciate the advice!


If anyone else has any other information to share that would be fantastic. Anything to do with modeling techniques and/or how to help improve my workflow.
LockePick
LockePick
When you "try to incorporate some of the modeling techniques [you've] learned from the tutorials into [your] own ideas" are you working off of a reference? A sketch or a photo? You should.

Modelling things off the top of your head is difficult. No one is an expert in how everything is made and why things look the way they do. Good artists constantly use references, especially when learning. Even if it's not exactly what you're making, you can often find useful references anyways (i.e. you're making a character with a mechanical arm, so you look up pictures of car engines)

As for workflow, search around on CG art forums for configurations and plugins that other artists recommend. Force yourself to use lots of hotkeys. Learn multiple modelling styles and figure out which one you're best at.
Luxon
Luxon
Yes I use reference images. For instance I am trying to build a sort of clock tower structure similar to an astronomical clock and have several reference images together, but at the same time I have a few of my own ideas I want to incorporate into it that are not present in the ref images, essentially taking bits and pieces from each ref image I like and using them to go towards that basic idea in my head. It's just anytime I begin work things never seem to look right.

Also, many thanks on the advice on configuration and plugins. I'll check into that right away. If you can think of any other tips to offer I'm still all ears.
szecs
szecs
There's a feature in MAX: "Viewport Background". I usually have a 3D perspective view, put an image of the reference as a background, and try to find some reference points to match the view (for example a table, or a plane, or whatever). I model that thing (a box for example). Then I try to match the 3D view with lots of tweaking/zooming/panning etc, until the camera matches to the reference box/whatever (see "camera match").

I hope that's clear.

The best thing is to find a blueprint of the thing, so you don't have to shit around with camera matching.

I use "spline" + "surface" a lot. I make a lot of "references" or "instances" of the model: copy the spline as a "reference" then add a "surface" modifier to it. Then this "reference" will be associative: you edit the spline and the surface changes according to that.

It's a good idea to look into sculpting (the real thing, not a software) to enhance your spatial view and sense of shapes.

You can look into "edge flow" too, but that's a bit more advanced thing. But it's very important: a model with a good edge flow can make life easier: "selection -> edge -> loop", "selection -> edge -> ring"

I hope that helps.
klefebz
klefebz
You should draw the thing you want to make as a concept and then model it.
I don't play MMOs because I would become addicted

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.