Original Post
The artists in my company build large objects by putting separate parts together. For example, we have separate models of windows, walls, ledges, pillars, doors, etc. To make a whole building, they put multiple parts at different positions, allowing the parts to simply touch or intersect. As a result, a building would consist of 100 disconnected meshes.
Now I'm assigned the task of writing a tool for auto LOD generation. I found that it's hard to avoid holes after polygon reduction. I've tried many methods like locking the open edges or coincidnet vertices, but holes cannot be 100% avoided. I also tried to auto-split touching or intersecting edges, but it results in tremendous increase of polygon count.
So do you think it's a good idea of modellng large objects by simply putting small pre-made pieces together, without resolving the intersecting polys? It would definitely save poly count, but it also hinder auto LOD generation. What's the common practice in game companies?
Now I'm assigned the task of writing a tool for auto LOD generation. I found that it's hard to avoid holes after polygon reduction. I've tried many methods like locking the open edges or coincidnet vertices, but holes cannot be 100% avoided. I also tried to auto-split touching or intersecting edges, but it results in tremendous increase of polygon count.
So do you think it's a good idea of modellng large objects by simply putting small pre-made pieces together, without resolving the intersecting polys? It would definitely save poly count, but it also hinder auto LOD generation. What's the common practice in game companies?