Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

how to create attacking effect in 3d games?

Started by ajeaje Dec 18, 2010 at 3:47 AM 2 replies 750+ views
Original Post
ajeaje
ajeaje
Hello, I wonder how to do an effect for character attack in 3d games,

what I mean is something like effect that following character hands/foots when the character do an attack.

I suppose this is generated in runtime right? Is it using a plane (with texture and alpha map) following character hands and rendered only in attack time?

what is the effective method to do such an effect?
Buckeye
Buckeye
If you mean something occurring at the location of the character's hands, that can (as you mention) be done with textured-alphablended triangles or quads.

It can be generated at "attack time" or you can create an appropriate vertexbuffer at program startup.

When required, locate the character's hand in world space, orient the world matrix for the vertexbuffer appropriately and render it.
Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the forums for everyone's benefit, and I can embarrass myself publicly. You don't forget how to play when you grow old; you grow old when you forget how to play.
ajeaje
ajeaje
not necessarily in the exact hand location, it like a "trace effect" when we attack..
such as
http://media.curse.com/CommunityServer.Components.PostAttachments/00/00/46/94/74/Dragonica01.jpg-720x540.jpg

there is a trace (violet one) whenever the sword swinging,

how do they do that commonly?
Buckeye
Buckeye
Quote:
locate the character's hand end of the sword in world space, orient the world matrix for the vertexbuffer appropriately and render it.

I would think it could also be done with a particle system.
Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the forums for everyone's benefit, and I can embarrass myself publicly. You don't forget how to play when you grow old; you grow old when you forget how to play.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.