Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

[web] NPAPI auto-update plugin

Started by AbelCorver Dec 31, 2010 at 8:38 AM 0 replies 1.1k views
Original Post
AbelCorver
AbelCorver
Hi everyone,
I've written 2 NPAPI plugins: one is the installer, that downloads a lot of other files, and gives nice feedback to the user, and the other is the actual app.

The problem that I've encountered is that it's impossible to update a DLL while it's being used by the other plugin. Instead of forcing the other DLL to unload, which I thought might not always be possible, I thought it would be easier to simply remap the Windows registry key ('Path') to the new DLL.

This way the user can continue on with his/her work, and enjoy the newer version when the browser restarts, or the page refreshes, or whatever.

The problem is: Firefox isn't checking the 'Path' entry once it has discovered the plugin. It simply remembers the first path ever specified, and that's it.

Do you guys have any ideas on how to handle this? Any functions that can force a 'rediscovery' of plugins, something that might work across browsers even?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Regards,
Abel.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.