Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Accepted to Digipen. Money concerns.

Started by swilkewitz Jan 22, 2011 at 3:54 AM 29 replies 17.9k views
Original Post
swilkewitz
swilkewitz
Hi, I was recently accepted to Digipen which I am excited about! How expensive is tuition and total cost? My father continues to make random comments about affording it, but I have heard that Digipen offers plentiful financial aid, is this true?
frob
frob
Congratulations on getting accepted to a school that you chose.

When it comes to tuition costs, it's issue you should have thought about before applying. Tuition and fees are generally clearly posted inside their web sites and published in their course catalog.

You should contact the school's financial aid office. They can help you with the FAFSA and other forms to help you determine what kinds of financial aid are available. You should also be searching for scholarships; the school can help you there, too.
swilkewitz
swilkewitz
Yeah, I've already done some research, and I won't be able to file the FAFSA for a couple weeks I think. I have read the cost in number, but it doesn't mean anything to me because I have nothing to compare it to, and also because that is just the "sticker price." This page says that typical tuition is $12,500 per semester, at $757.00 per credit.
Tom Sloper
Tom Sloper
Kid, if your father doesn't want to pay the tuition for that school, work hard to find one he can afford.
He's your dad! Don't you care??
Read this forum's FAQs about choosing a school. Link is above.
-- Tom Sloper    --      sloperama.com
swilkewitz
swilkewitz
I don't think you understand. He can easily afford it, and he is thrilled that I got accepted. I am expected to pay half, so I think he is worrying about me. Besides, I am asking for a "frame of reference" when it comes to cost, not whether or not I should go based on cost.

Sorry for the confusion.
Tom Sloper
Tom Sloper
You should read (and your dad should also read) FAQs 34, 44, and 25.
-- Tom Sloper    --      sloperama.com
Chrono1081
Chrono1081
Congrats on getting excepted to DigiPen! Thats my dream school but since I do a lot of overseas contracting work I had to go with an online school instead (Although online is actually really really nice).

As far as affording it most others already told you what to do as far as fafsa and what-not. Your school should be able to help you right over the phone for a lot of it.
dpadam450
dpadam450
DP is more expensive every year. Under your own ambition though, you can learn anything you need about game development through books and asking for help here. Make sure you like programming before you waste your time going and potentially dropping out. It is a very nice environment though.
NBA2K, Madden, Maneater, Killing Floor, Sims 
stupid_programmer
stupid_programmer
Wow. A year at the state school I went to cost less then one semester of tuition at DigiPen (I would imagine that $12,500 doesn't cover room and board?). I had no real problem getting a game job either. You better make sure thats what you really want and also know that some employers won't look a resumes from people who went to game schools. Seriously think about going to a state school to get a regular CS degree and do all the game development you can on the side and pay a quarter of the cost and arguably be much better off. Game schools really seem to be turning into a money grab.
swilkewitz
swilkewitz
DP is more expensive every year. Under your own ambition though, you can learn anything you need about game development through books and asking for help here. Make sure you like programming before you waste your time going and potentially dropping out. It is a very nice environment though.


Yeah, I've heard that... but then again, don't all schools get more expensive every year? I am aware of my own abilities and passion; I've been programming for over three years, and I've been making games for over two. I also just started my first 3D game over the past week which is going great.


"You better make sure thats what you really want and also know that some employers won't look a resumes from people who went to game schools. Seriously think about going to a state school to get a regular CS degree and do all the game development you can on the side and pay a quarter of the cost and arguably be much better off"

Doesn't Digipen have a good reputation with most companies though? I did finish my application to Purdue, which has a great CS program, so I will consider going there first. I will figure everthing out once I file my FAFSA and get word back from both schools.
frob
frob
ONLY as it pertains to an entry-level job applicant, I would favor the traditional CS degree at Purdue over the trade degree at DP.

However, I would take either over people with no degree and no portfolio. After the entry level I would look at the list of completed projects over the school choice.


The forum FAQ lists quite a few important factors. You and your family should review them together. Your likelihood to complete the program should be one of the biggest concerns. Your ability to develop and learn at each environment is similarly very important.

Cost is certainly on the list, but less important than your ability to flourish. Choose a school and program that you can complete. An incomplete degree is an unfortunate waste of time and money.
jpetrie
jpetrie

[color=#1C2837][size=2]Doesn't Digipen have a good reputation with most companies though? I did finish my application to Purdue, which has a great CS program, so I will consider going there first. I will figure everthing out once I file my FAFSA and get word back from both schools.
[color=#1C2837][size=2][color=#1C2837][size=2][/quote]
[color="#1C2837"]People have varied opinions, and it will depend ultimately on who reviews your application. For example, I do not value DigiPen's degree very highly. But I would consider the person more than I would the degree. Others vary.
EndersGames
EndersGames
Go to a community collage. A credit there is like a 4th of the cost and you will get the same information.

I went to DeVry and regreted it ever since. If programming games is what you are passionate about, go to a community collage and educate yourself on things that will help make good games.

Things such as story line: english literature. English classes will teach you story telling methods. Maybe a better example is creative writing classes. You can then writing a compelling story for your game.

Creating art assets: art courses. Art classes will teach you methods of art from the centuries. You can then use that art style in your game.

Math and science: learn physics, math techniqes, and problem solving.

History: learn great things in history, use them to make a game out of it. I once papered up a game prototype following the actions of John Wilkes Booth on April 14, 1865. I still think it will make a great game. If you don't know who John Booth is, you will not learn American History in Digipen.

Cinema and photography: learn about framing, and what the human focuses on when looking at a movie or photograph. Also teaches different techniques on telling a story with only images.

Buissness: get down economic numbers and how it all releates in the individual, company, economy. Useful for running your own indie group or for using in your game economy.

Oh, and you can take programming I guess, because making games is only about the programming.

The point I am giving is the taking only a focus subject robs you of the culture you can put into a game. My suggestion is, take 2 years at a community collage and get all of your non essensial credits out of the way. It will be cheaper for you and your dad, andyou will gain valuable knowlage about life. And I say that is very important in making a game.

I am only saying all of this because I did it too and now it sucks. And for the love of all that is programmed, do not, I repeate do not use Sallie Mae.

Good luck, and god speed. Excelsior!
swilkewitz
swilkewitz
Hey, thanks for all the opinions. I've got a better perspective now. and Tom Sloper, you should really stop posting only links to faqs, it comes across as lazy and apathetic, regardless of the content.

I will continue working on my 3D game and when I got more information from Purdue and Digipen then I will make my decision. Thanks!
zer0wolf
zer0wolf
For what it is worth, I went to Purdue, loved it, and had no problem at all landing a job before I had graduated. I majored in Computer Graphics Technology, not Computer Science, but the CS department at Purdue did seem to be pretty good. Are you from Indiana? If so then then the in-state tuition will be a fraction of Digipen's.
Tom Sloper
Tom Sloper
Tom Sloper, you should really stop posting only links to faqs, it comes across as lazy and apathetic, regardless of the content

I'm not here to spoonfeed people who can't be bothered to read.
-- Tom Sloper    --      sloperama.com
swilkewitz
swilkewitz

[quote name='swilkewitz' timestamp='1296072867' post='4765238']Tom Sloper, you should really stop posting only links to faqs, it comes across as lazy and apathetic, regardless of the content

I'm not here to spoonfeed people who can't be bothered to read.
[/quote]

I did read it, what I'm saying is that you've posted that link so many times that I've already seen it. In fact, so far I haven't read anything from you that wasn't a link to that faq. Anyway, let's not get into a petty argument, and I didn't mean to be rude.
Tom Sloper
Tom Sloper

I did read it, what I'm saying is that you've posted that link so many times that I've already seen it. In fact, so far I haven't read anything from you that wasn't a link to that faq. Anyway, let's not get into a petty argument, and I didn't mean to be rude.

I only give the link to people who ask questions that are already answered in the FAQs.
I assume that if they had already read the answer, they would not still be asking the question.
I too didn't mean to be rude.
-- Tom Sloper    --      sloperama.com
swilkewitz
swilkewitz

[quote name='swilkewitz' timestamp='1296089341' post='4765369']
I did read it, what I'm saying is that you've posted that link so many times that I've already seen it. In fact, so far I haven't read anything from you that wasn't a link to that faq. Anyway, let's not get into a petty argument, and I didn't mean to be rude.

I only give the link to people who ask questions that are already answered in the FAQs.
I assume that if they had already read the answer, they would not still be asking the question.
I too didn't mean to be rude.
[/quote]

Understandable, although that faq answers everything imagineable.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.