Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Do you know where to start? See here!

Started by majc Jan 27, 2011 at 11:06 PM 23 replies 6.1k views
Original Post
majc
majc
Hi to all,

I'm doing a blog to help beginners in the game development.
Here it is:

http://howtomakeagameinmyopinion.blogspot.com/

I hope this helps some lost beginners like me some time ago.
Please give me your feedback to know if it helped and what info it's missing.
By the way I'm not english and my english is bad
snake5
snake5
If you're a beginner yourself, I don't think it's a good idea to try to help others. From what I saw there, you obviously haven't seen the diversity of working styles that game developers use. Suggesting that beginners should (or even could) make MMO games is like bringing more wood to a burning house - it's not helping. Asking people to care more about the process than the game itself hasn't given better games.

You had some good thoughts there, though. But because of your style of writing which I can't associate with proper English, it's hard to take you seriously. The wall of text and lack of structure makes everything hard to read.

I also disagree with the last part - it's possible to make money with the game. And if you make people think that it's not, it doesn't encourage them to try.
You're also encouraging them to make everything but the game and that's the worst thing one could possibly do.
majc
majc

If you're a beginner yourself, I don't think it's a good idea to try to help others. From what I saw there, you obviously haven't seen the diversity of working styles that game developers use. Suggesting that beginners should (or even could) make MMO games is like bringing more wood to a burning house - it's not helping. Asking people to care more about the process than the game itself hasn't given better games.

You had some good thoughts there, though. But because of your style of writing which I can't associate with proper English, it's hard to take you seriously. The wall of text and lack of structure makes everything hard to read.

I also disagree with the last part - it's possible to make money with the game. And if you make people think that it's not, it doesn't encourage them to try.
You're also encouraging them to make everything but the game and that's the worst thing one could possibly do.


It's a valid opinion.
But i think you misunderstood what i tried to tell maybe because of But because of your style of writing which I can't associate with proper English.
I think if you read the title you will understand, it says "How to make games in my opinion!", I'm not saying the way I'm making it's the right way, I'm saying it's the way i found that works for me.
I also disagree with the last part - it's possible to make money with the game. I didn't try to say that, I said if you don't charge for the game more people will play it and will bring more publicity to your game and your team, but i believe you are right, that sentence can be misunderstood.
If you're a beginner yourself, I don't think it's a good idea to try to help others i totally disagree with this, I'm a beginner since i don't work professionally in games, but i think i can help others since the way I'm doing it's working for me and for my team.
Suggesting that beginners should (or even could) make MMO games is like bringing more wood to a burning house - it's not helping i seriously believe it's possible an indie team make MMOs even if i never did one, a lot of people start to work in game development because want to make a MMO, even if i won't be capable to make one i already learned a lot with the "trying" process.
You're also encouraging them to make everything but the game and that's the worst thing one could possibly do. I think you are talking about this "Other advice i have for you is to know a little of all the skills" what I'm trying to say with this is, is the following:
You can search a little about 3d modeling for example, to know the amount of polygons a mesh must have to avoid turning your game slow.
This is the first time I'm writing a blog and i was counting that besides you tell me what is wrong you could also telling me how to make it right.
Best regards,
DekaSoft
DekaSoft

i seriously believe it's possible an indie team make MMOs even if i never did one, a lot of people start to work in game development because want to make a MMO
[/quote]

IMHO development of MMO is impossible if you never made tetris or something like that.
www.dekagames.com
majc
majc


i seriously believe it's possible an indie team make MMOs even if i never did one, a lot of people start to work in game development because want to make a MMO


IMHO development of MMO is impossible if you never made tetris or something like that.
[/quote]

It's exactly that I'm saying in the blog, but i think it's possible if you make something smaller first.
snake5
snake5
[color=#1C2837][size=2]i seriously believe it's possible an indie team make MMOs[/quote]
A team doesn't guarantee knowledge or willingness to work. It's more like an exception to a completely opposite rule.

[color=#1C2837][size=2]I think you are talking about this[/quote]
No, I'm talking about the whole theme of your blog: "you need a team", "you need to write a story", "you need 3d models", "you're not going to sell a game" etc.
There's no "game" in models or story, or even a team. A game is a completely different thing, the most basic kinds of a game require different skills and knowledge. One could make a game by rendering points on the screen and nothing else!

I'm trying to say that you're not helping. Most of what I have seen in the blog doesn't help at all. Beginners need evaluation and guidance, not a list of tips that push them in the wrong direction. If you can't evaluate beginners and give them properly tailored tips, you're doing it wrong! So, please, stop helping (there are lots of beginners already doing the same thing and they're not helping either) and get back to developing games. That's more useful.

P.S. I respect everyone's opinion but it's hard to accept it being screamed out too many times.
http://scientificninja.com/blog/dont-write-tutorials
Syerjchep
Syerjchep

[quote name='snake5' timestamp='1296181253' post='4765994']
If you're a beginner yourself, I don't think it's a good idea to try to help others. From what I saw there, you obviously haven't seen the diversity of working styles that game developers use. Suggesting that beginners should (or even could) make MMO games is like bringing more wood to a burning house - it's not helping. Asking people to care more about the process than the game itself hasn't given better games.

You had some good thoughts there, though. But because of your style of writing which I can't associate with proper English, it's hard to take you seriously. The wall of text and lack of structure makes everything hard to read.

I also disagree with the last part - it's possible to make money with the game. And if you make people think that it's not, it doesn't encourage them to try.
You're also encouraging them to make everything but the game and that's the worst thing one could possibly do.


It's a valid opinion.
But i think you misunderstood what i tried to tell maybe because of But because of your style of writing which I can't associate with proper English.
I think if you read the title you will understand, it says "How to make games in my opinion!", I'm not saying the way I'm making it's the right way, I'm saying it's the way i found that works for me.
I also disagree with the last part - it's possible to make money with the game. I didn't try to say that, I said if you don't charge for the game more people will play it and will bring more publicity to your game and your team, but i believe you are right, that sentence can be misunderstood.
If you're a beginner yourself, I don't think it's a good idea to try to help others i totally disagree with this, I'm a beginner since i don't work professionally in games, but i think i can help others since the way I'm doing it's working for me and for my team.
Suggesting that beginners should (or even could) make MMO games is like bringing more wood to a burning house - it's not helping i seriously believe it's possible an indie team make MMOs even if i never did one, a lot of people start to work in game development because want to make a MMO, even if i won't be capable to make one i already learned a lot with the "trying" process.
You're also encouraging them to make everything but the game and that's the worst thing one could possibly do. I think you are talking about this "Other advice i have for you is to know a little of all the skills" what I'm trying to say with this is, is the following:
You can search a little about 3d modeling for example, to know the amount of polygons a mesh must have to avoid turning your game slow.
This is the first time I'm writing a blog and i was counting that besides you tell me what is wrong you could also telling me how to make it right.
Best regards,
[/quote]

I've done work with 3d graphics and networking, (not to mention other things) in C++ for quite a while, and yes, an indie can make an MORPG or sorts but how much follow through the creator actually has, how glitchy the game is, and weather there is actually anything entertaining to the game really don't factor into the definition. In other words, making an MORPG alone might not be nearly as hard as people often say, but making a good MORPG is a different story.



i seriously believe it's possible an indie team make MMOs even if i never did one, a lot of people start to work in game development because want to make a MMO


IMHO development of MMO is impossible if you never made tetris or something like that.
[/quote]
And this is true also.
majc
majc
Snake5 do you work professionally in game development?
Do you have an indie project?
I believe an indie project it's completely different from work professionally in game development since there isn't money involved, people don't work 8 hours a day, they work when they can and achieve deadlines it's almost impossible.
Sorry Snake i don't agree with anything you wrote in the last post.
I wrote the blog talking about my experience and the directions i took that worked better for me, I'm not saying there that's the only path beginners can follow, I'm saying that's the path i followed and it's working.
I think you miss an important part of my blog... the tile:

How to make a game in my opinion!
and not


The only way to make a game!
If i had read a blog like this before i start i believe that i could save a lot of time in this process.
farcodev
farcodev

I believe an indie project it's completely different from work professionally in game development since there isn't money involved, people don't work 8 hours a day, they work when they can and achieve deadlines it's almost impossible.


I cannot be agree with that, it seems you don't know well the indie scene, or think that the indie scene is like the opensource one.

Money is obviously involved, and many people work full time on their projects, and even many have their own company.

Of course some of them also release free games, but it's not the majority.

Just my brick in this thread
majc
majc

[quote name='majc' timestamp='1296307514' post='4766608']
I believe an indie project it's completely different from work professionally in game development since there isn't money involved, people don't work 8 hours a day, they work when they can and achieve deadlines it's almost impossible.


I cannot be agree with that, it seems you don't know well the indie scene, or think that the indie scene is like the opensource one.

Money is obviously involved, and many people work full time on their projects, and even many have their own company.

Of course some of them also release free games, but it's not the majority.

Just my brick in this thread
[/quote]

Sorry i was talking about my project and not in indie projects in general, sorry if i mislead you.
snake5
snake5
[color=#1C2837][size=2]Snake5 do you work professionally in game development?[/quote]
I'm beginning to work professionally and I have lots of finished indie projects. One of the things you didn't write about there is finishing a project, by the way...
[color=#1C2837][size=2]I believe an indie project it's completely different from work professionally in game development since there isn't money involved, people don't work 8 hours a day, they work when they can and achieve deadlines it's almost impossible.[/quote]
Achieving deadlines is a matter of planning, not the time you have.
[color=#1C2837][size=2]I'm saying that's the path i followed and it's working.[/quote]
You only claim that it's working - I haven't seen any evidence. You might as well start with that. And if you were saying that it's your path, you wouldn't choose the words "how to".
[color=#1C2837][size=2]How to make a game in my opinion![/quote]
That is exactly the same as "the only true way". You obviously don't know anything about how-to advices and where they're applicable.
How-to is for things you can do step-by-step easily yourself. Game development isn't something you can do easily. Or yourself, if you need such articles.

[color=#1C2837][size=2]If i had read a blog like this before i start i believe that i could save a lot of time in this process.[/quote]
And I believe you would have wasted time on learning wrong stuff. Just like lots of other beginners...
majc
majc

[color="#1c2837"]Snake5 do you work professionally in game development?

I'm beginning to work professionally and I have lots of finished indie projects. One of the things you didn't write about there is finishing a project, by the way...
[color="#1c2837"]I believe an indie project it's completely different from work professionally in game development since there isn't money involved, people don't work 8 hours a day, they work when they can and achieve deadlines it's almost impossible.[/quote]
Achieving deadlines is a matter of planning, not the time you have.
[color="#1c2837"]I'm saying that's the path i followed and it's working.[/quote]
You only claim that it's working - I haven't seen any evidence. You might as well start with that. And if you were saying that it's your path, you wouldn't choose the words "how to".
[color="#1c2837"]How to make a game in my opinion![/quote]
That is exactly the same as "the only true way". You obviously don't know anything about how-to advices and where they're applicable.
How-to is for things you can do step-by-step easily yourself. Game development isn't something you can do easily. Or yourself, if you need such articles.

[color="#1c2837"]If i had read a blog like this before i start i believe that i could save a lot of time in this process.[/quote]
And I believe you would have wasted time on learning wrong stuff. Just like lots of other beginners...
[/quote]

Sorry but i keep my opinion.

Achieving deadlines is a matter of planning, not the time you have.


When you say this i serious believe you never made a project with a not payed team. I'm talking about a big project like an fps or an rpg that needs more than 1 person.
But if I'm wrong and you are right i would like you teach me how to accomplish deadlines with a non payed team.
By the way i didn't wrote about finishing the project because i didn't finished mine yet. I will write there when i finish it, I only write about things i experienced.
When you write things like that, you believe that you are the guy that has all the experience about this subject since you wrote a blog and you think others can't.
I will prove you that I'm right when i finish my project
snake5
snake5
[color="#1C2837"]When you say this i serious believe you never made a project with a not payed team.[/quote]
I've finished some projects in a few days with a team.
[color="#1C2837"]I'm talking about a big project like an fps or an rpg that needs more than 1 person.[/quote]
Wasn't that big but then again, projects like "your generic FPS" or "your default RPG" aren't for me - I don't make those. I have tried to experiment while I can.
[color="#1C2837"]By the way i didn't wrote about finishing the project because i didn't finished mine yet.[/quote]
I suggest you to finish one before teaching others what's right.
[color="#1C2837"]I only write about things i experienced.[/quote]
While you haven't finished a project, you have experienced almost nothing. If you finish something, you know exactly what it takes to make a project. Until then, it's just some random bits of development.
[color="#1C2837"]By the way do you have a website with your finished projects? I would like to play your games.[/quote]
[color="#1C2837"]The link is in under each one of my posts. By the way, if you have any projects you can show, I'd like to see them too. It would then be easier to understand how much you actually know about game development.
majc
majc

[color="#1c2837"]When you say this i serious believe you never made a project with a not payed team.

I've finished some projects in a few days with a team.
[color="#1c2837"]I'm talking about a big project like an fps or an rpg that needs more than 1 person.[/quote]
Wasn't that big but then again, projects like "your generic FPS" or "your default RPG" aren't for me - I don't make those. I have tried to experiment while I can.
[color="#1c2837"]By the way i didn't wrote about finishing the project because i didn't finished mine yet.[/quote]
I suggest you to finish one before teaching others what's right.
[color="#1c2837"]I only write about things i experienced.[/quote]
While you haven't finished a project, you have experienced almost nothing. If you finish something, you know exactly what it takes to make a project. Until then, it's just some random bits of development.
[color="#1c2837"]By the way do you have a website with your finished projects? I would like to play your games.[/quote]
[color="#1c2837"]The link is in under each one of my posts. By the way, if you have any projects you can show, I'd like to see them too. It would then be easier to understand how much you actually know about game development.
[/quote]

Wasn't that big but then again, projects like "your generic FPS" or "your default RPG" aren't for me - I don't make those.


Like i don't make little games like the ones you did, I'm aiming for something bigger that will take more time to finish than these games you made.

But like i said before you have your opinion and I have mine and when i finish this game i will show you that I'm right, until there good luck with your games
snake5
snake5
[color=#1C2837][size=2]I'm aiming for something bigger that will take more time to finish than these games you made.[/quote]
Either you missed Gunplay in the list or you have no idea what it takes to develop it. And I'm aiming for something big enough right now too.
[color=#1C2837][size=2]when i finish this game i will show you that I'm right, until there good luck with your games[/quote]
Thanks and good luck to you too. But please, leave teaching to more experienced people.
majc
majc

[color="#1c2837"]I'm aiming for something bigger that will take more time to finish than these games you made.

Either you missed Gunplay in the list or you have no idea what it takes to develop it. And I'm aiming for something big enough right now too.
[color="#1c2837"]when i finish this game i will show you that I'm right, until there good luck with your games[/quote]
Thanks and good luck to you too. But please, leave teaching to more experienced people.
[/quote]

But please, leave teaching to more experienced people.

Lol I hope you weren't talking about you
Esys
Esys
I, too, am starting a developer's blog; not so much as a "how-to" (because I at least know that I'm the last person who should be teaching anything about game developmet), but more of a journal as I develop new projects. I have lots of opinions, but certainly not regarding development. I try to read and learn everything I can come across about all aspects of game development, and while I may offer advice when new programmers have questions, I give way to more experienced voices and try to learn and apply their advice.

BTW: AngryPixel Comments, suggestions, and helpful feedback always welcomed and appreciated.
snake5
snake5
[color=#1C2837][size=2]Lol I hope you weren't talking about you[/quote]
I was talking about you - I'm not teaching beginners. It's really hard to teach them correctly. Even professional teachers often fail to do it.
owl
owl
It's perfectly ok if the kid wants to teach. Leave him alone fgs!
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.