Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Flash GUI in Direct3D

Started by sipickles Feb 1, 2011 at 10:55 PM 10 replies 5.8k views
Original Post
sipickles
sipickles
Hi,

For a while I have been using Awesomium to add a 2d HTML driven GUI to my game. I always imagined I could use flash with Awesomium too, and yes, it does render flash.

The problem is communicating with a local flash movie via Javascript. Its a security problem.

I can get the javascript to send data to the swf, but only if I add the swf path to the Global Security Settings of the Flash Player. Now, I can't really expect my end-users to perform this step. Is there a workaround to get Awesomium to play and communicate with a local swf file?

Alternatively, what other methods are there of using flash in a GUI in DirectX? Ideally, I'd embed a flash player in my game and copy the rendered output to a directX texture. Is this possible?

Thanks
nikgastovski
nikgastovski
mmm,why not use gameswf/scaleform?


i bad speaking English,and not all lines in message was reading
sipickles
sipickles

why not use gameswf/scaleform?


Thanks for the suggestions. I had come across Scaleform but its very expensive. Not heard of gameswf before. Looks good but not in active development - a bit of a turn off but I'll give it a try.

Any others out there?
nikgastovski
nikgastovski

[quote name='nikgastovski' timestamp='1296630658' post='4768364']
why not use gameswf/scaleform?


Thanks for the suggestions. I had come across Scaleform but its very expensive. Not heard of gameswf before. Looks good but not in active development - a bit of a turn off but I'll give it a try.

Any others out there?
[/quote]
maybe you will use pirate edition?-if your team get publisher-buy him. Or you get evaluation kit-and will find keygen


I dont know how in Europe,but In Russia it is normal practice
Madhed
Madhed

[quote name='sipickles' timestamp='1296643761' post='4768413']
[quote name='nikgastovski' timestamp='1296630658' post='4768364']
why not use gameswf/scaleform?


Thanks for the suggestions. I had come across Scaleform but its very expensive. Not heard of gameswf before. Looks good but not in active development - a bit of a turn off but I'll give it a try.

Any others out there?
[/quote]
maybe you will use pirate edition?-if your team get publisher-buy him. Or you get evaluation kit-and will find keygen


I dont know how in Europe,but In Russia it is normal practice
[/quote]

...and illegal. I'm not sure about the forum rules but maybe you should stop promoting pirating around this board. If one can't afford to buy a product there are always cheaper alternatives out there.
nikgastovski
nikgastovski

...and illegal. I'm not sure about the forum rules but maybe you should stop promoting pirating around this board. If one can't afford to buy a product there are always cheaper alternatives out there.


-if your team get publisher-buy him.
[/quote]
For indie games it's not important-you not get money-no problems
Evil Steve
Evil Steve
It doesn't matter if it's an indie game or not, it's still illegal to pirate software. And advocating has earned you a warning level increase.
nikgastovski
nikgastovski

It doesn't matter if it's an indie game or not, it's still illegal to pirate software. And advocating has earned you a warning level increase.


IMHO:\/
use abstract thought. if company not agree with use product in project they contact with team. If team need get Eval-they contact with company and in email agree with license/ correcting for individual
Why you is very correct on Copyright?

For Example:
I have Unreal Engine 3 source ->i use this is engine only for my NOT commercical projects-this is my right,udk me not interested.=if i not get money=i not have problems-i dont have publisher,not share Engine src and etc.

If i not right.please correct me
Flimflam
Flimflam
IMHO:\/
use abstract thought. if company not agree with use product in project they contact with team. If team need get Eval-they contact with company and in email agree with license/ correcting for individual
Why you is very correct on Copyright?

For Example:
I have Unreal Engine 3 source ->i use this is engine only for my NOT commercical projects-this is my right,udk me not interested.=if i not get money=i not have problems-i dont have publisher,not share Engine src and etc.

If i not right.please correct me

You are not allowed to pirate software under any circumstances, whether you intend on selling your creations or not. If you make a deal with the company and they give you the software then that is not piracy, but that doesn't sound like what you did.

If you downloaded the Unreal Engine 3 source code without paying or without an exclusive deal with Epic then you're breaking the law. It simply does not matter if you intend on profiting from the software or not. As far as I know, UDK is the only software you're allowed to use for free noncommercially. Everything else requires a properly paid for license.
px
px

[quote name='Evil Steve' timestamp='1296661091' post='4768536']
It doesn't matter if it's an indie game or not, it's still illegal to pirate software. And advocating has earned you a warning level increase.


IMHO:\/
use abstract thought. if company not agree with use product in project they contact with team. If team need get Eval-they contact with company and in email agree with license/ correcting for individual
Why you is very correct on Copyright?

For Example:
I have Unreal Engine 3 source ->i use this is engine only for my NOT commercical projects-this is my right,udk me not interested.=if i not get money=i not have problems-i dont have publisher,not share Engine src and etc.

If i not right.please correct me
[/quote]

Is there a difference between stealing a car and driving it on the road to go to work/shopping/etc VS. stealing a car and only driving it in your yard?

@sipickles: Not sure if this old thread will be any help or not but here it is anyways.
Humble people don't refer to themselves as humble (W.R.T. "IMHO".)
Madhed
Madhed
OMG I want my rate-- back...

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.