Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

[.net] Reflector - no more free version

Started by Rainweaver Feb 2, 2011 at 3:10 PM 24 replies 8.2k views
Original Post
Rainweaver
Rainweaver
Since version 7 you will have to pay 35$ to use Reflector.

News on ZDNet

The tool is vital for any respectable .NET developer.

They could have just open-sourced it, couldn't they?

ChaosEngine
ChaosEngine
Well, if you feel the tool is that vital, pay them their $35. Reflector is definitely a useful tool and I'm happy to give them money for their efforts.

After all, I expect to be paid for my services, why should they give you their work for free?
if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
Mike.Popoloski
Mike.Popoloski
This doesn't really bother me. I use Reflector so much, so $35 isn't that big a deal, and I'd be happy to support people who make good products. As someone who writes software for a living, I'd hope people who find my software useful would also be willing to pay for the convenience and utility provided.
Mike Popoloski | Journal | SlimDX
Flimflam
Flimflam
I guess their controversial 6 month timeout period for installs ensures they'll have people pay since they can't keep the free version. Honestly, it feels like a simple bait and switch. Release the program for free long enough to suck in the people, and then switch over to a pricing model that forces everyone who have gotten used to the program to pay up. I wonder how Lutz feels about this turn of events. I'm pretty sure keeping a free version out there was one of the promises that Red Gate made when they acquired it.
SiCrane
SiCrane
Given that Lutz was the one who originally created the expiration code, well before Red Gate acquired it, I don't imagine that he's all that shocked about the way things have happened.
Flimflam
Flimflam

Given that Lutz was the one who originally created the expiration code, well before Red Gate acquired it, I don't imagine that he's all that shocked about the way things have happened.

Yeah, I know that Lutz was the one who implemented the expiration code, but I think it made a lot more sense when it was one guy working on the product, not a company. Oh well.
Daaark
Daaark

Where do I start?

Nowhere. Thanks for your opinions.
vs_panhandler_11806_2101.jpg

We don't need this BS every time someone tries to make money off their software. You're not entitled to anything in this life. This is especially hypocritical since you yourself ask for donations on your site for your software. These threads usually translate into 'I have no job'.
Fiddler
Fiddler
You do know there are other free decompilers for .Net, don't you? Free as in both open-source and non-commercial.

In case you didn't, read and be enlightened. Or, if you don't like reading, just fire up MonoDevelop or wait for QCon.

[OpenTK: C# OpenGL 4.4, OpenGL ES 3.0 and OpenAL 1.1. Now with Linux/KMS support!]
Spodi
Spodi
I'm not surprised. The free version was already being annoying about buying the full version.

Anyways, this is just for the new Reflector. Older versions still work just fine (assuming they didn't program a "self destruct" into the program, in which case that would be very questionable practices).


[color=#1C2837][size=2]This is especially hypocritical since you yourself ask for donations on your site for your software.[/quote]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]

[color="#1C2837"]In all fairness, asking for donations isn't the same as charging for your software. But I guess what you're getting at is that everybody needs to earn money.
NetGore - Open source multiplayer RPG engine
Washu
Washu
I'm surprised it remained free for as long as it did. Had I been Lutz I would have charged something for it right out of the box. The fact of the matter is that this is one of the most useful tools to have in your .Net toolkit. $35 for something that I used every single day when working with .Net is chump change compared to the amount of money I make in that day. Not to mention, compared to the cost of my MSDN subscription it really IS chump change.

Go make some money. Get a job. Mow some lawns (I'll pay you $35 if you can manage to mow mine).
In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.
Flimflam
Flimflam
Anyways, this is just for the new Reflector. Older versions still work just fine (assuming they didn't program a "self destruct" into the program, in which case that would be very questionable practices).

This is exactly what they've done. There has been 6 month timeouts on all versions since before Redgate purchased it. Once it times out in May, you must pay to continue using the program at all. This is also why people are not very happy with this turn of events, because people consider the new fee alongside the time bomb in older versions questionable. It was never about $35 because that is not a lot of money. It is the principle of what they are doing.
Daaark
Daaark

I'm surprised it remained free for as long as it did. Had I been Lutz I would have charged something for it right out of the box. The fact of the matter is that this is one of the most useful tools to have in your .Net toolkit. $35 for something that I used every single day when working with .Net is chump change
35$ is nothing. Especially for something you'd use that often.

A meal combo at a fast food restaurant is getting close to 10$ these days.
2 tickets to a movie tonight cost over 20$.
35$ might get you a decent pair of offbrand jeans.

For software, especially content creation and refining tools, 35$ usually gets you nothing.
dilyan_rusev
dilyan_rusev

[quote name='Washu' timestamp='1297191260' post='4771454']
I'm surprised it remained free for as long as it did. Had I been Lutz I would have charged something for it right out of the box. The fact of the matter is that this is one of the most useful tools to have in your .Net toolkit. $35 for something that I used every single day when working with .Net is chump change
35$ is nothing. Especially for something you'd use that often.

A meal combo at a fast food restaurant is getting close to 10$ these days.
2 tickets to a movie tonight cost over 20$.
35$ might get you a decent pair of offbrand jeans.

For software, especially content creation and refining tools, $35 usually gets you nothing.
[/quote]

Not quite In my country, the average salary is about $400. Of course, developers earn a lot more, but I wanted to point out that 35$ is not by far 'nothing' for people around the globe.

As for the rest, I completely agree.
Daaark
Daaark

In my country,
Then too bad?

In the author's country, they have to charge a fair and realistic price in line with his own economy. A professional programmer (who this product is targeted at) will often charge more than this product's cost for a single hour of work. Making it cost almost nothing. As for the hobbyist, I don't know what the minimum hourly wage is in the US, but up here where I live, it's just over $10.00.

It cost ~12$ for a pack of brand name cigarettes.
It costs about 4$ for a brand name drink at a corner convenience store, sometimes more for a deluxe enegry drink.

My mid-range wacom tablet cost me 250$ the other day.
A hobbyist version of photoshop will cost you close to 100$.
Professional grade graphics or programming software will cost hundreds to thousands of dollars.

But Reflector only cost 35$. Relatively cheap. A product like this, aimed at professional programmers could easily charge between 99$-250$, and it wouldn't be out of line. I also think it wouldn't be out of line if the 35$ price point was only an introductory price point as a sign of good faith to the existing user base, and then they increase it next year to a more realistic price.

Someone who lives in a country where 5$ american dollars is a small fortune either picked the wrong hobby, or needs to move to a better area.
Flimflam
Flimflam
It cost ~12$ for a pack of brand name cigarettes.

Holy cow? Where do you live that a pack of smokes is $12?

I've never seen them higher than $6 here in California. I'm guessing you live on the east coast if in the states? I've heard of some ridiculous taxes over there.
ChaosEngine
ChaosEngine

[quote name='Spodi' timestamp='1297189031' post='4771439']Anyways, this is just for the new Reflector. Older versions still work just fine (assuming they didn't program a "self destruct" into the program, in which case that would be very questionable practices).

This is exactly what they've done. There has been 6 month timeouts on all versions since before Redgate purchased it. Once it times out in May, you must pay to continue using the program at all. This is also why people are not very happy with this turn of events, because people consider the new fee alongside the time bomb in older versions questionable. It was never about $35 because that is not a lot of money. It is the principle of what they are doing.
[/quote]

Emphasis mine. What exactly is the principle to which you object? They let you use the software for a while, and now they want to charge for it. It's their product. I really don't see how there is any kind of principle violation here.

If you really feel that aggreieved, there is nothing stopping you writing your own version and giving it away.
if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
ranakor
ranakor

[quote name='Flimflam' timestamp='1297212499' post='4771642']
[quote name='Spodi' timestamp='1297189031' post='4771439']Anyways, this is just for the new Reflector. Older versions still work just fine (assuming they didn't program a "self destruct" into the program, in which case that would be very questionable practices).

This is exactly what they've done. There has been 6 month timeouts on all versions since before Redgate purchased it. Once it times out in May, you must pay to continue using the program at all. This is also why people are not very happy with this turn of events, because people consider the new fee alongside the time bomb in older versions questionable. It was never about $35 because that is not a lot of money. It is the principle of what they are doing.
[/quote]

Emphasis mine. What exactly is the principle to which you object? They let you use the software for a while, and now they want to charge for it. It's their product. I really don't see how there is any kind of principle violation here.

If you really feel that aggreieved, there is nothing stopping you writing your own version and giving it away.
[/quote]

Actually the principle they break is the one of promise.

They promised to keep it free when they bought it over.

I too am rather annoyed by this change, i don't even use reflector, not see any value in it to be honest, but i know it's widely used and i'm an actual customer of redgate, i'm disapointed at the decision.
SiCrane
SiCrane
I think you have selective memory here. Red Gate took all kinds of heat when they took over Reflector precisely because they wouldn't make any commitment to keeping Reflector free. People tried to get Red Gate to make such a promise and they wouldn't.
ranakor
ranakor

I think you have selective memory here. Red Gate took all kinds of heat when they took over Reflector precisely because they wouldn't make any commitment to keeping Reflector free. People tried to get Red Gate to make such a promise and they wouldn't.



They did state it would stay free, actually they're backing down on "kid's wordplay" saying "we said we'd do it but we didn't promise!"


http://www.simple-talk.com/opinion/opinion-pieces/the-future-of-reflector-/ <<< have a look there , hell even in the first paragraph it's boldly stated at the end "Red Gate will continue to offer the tool for free to the community." ,there's no if and but and maybes, it will continue to offer the tool for free. It's also re staded in large letters and bold right next to the paragraph.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.