Original Post
I am just starting to learn C++, so I purchased a few books to help me get started. The one that (by far) makes the most sense is Beginning C++ Game Programming by Michael Dawson. Early on, he recommends using Dev-C++ to compile all of his sample code, and it has been working fine. However, sample code from other sources (I forget which, but I can probably find it if requested) is failing to compile. Clearly I need to understand why, but before I do, I would like to decide on one compiler and stick to it from here on out.
From the text:
"I hate to pick on any particular compiler or software company, but I have to say that I cannot recommend Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0. Its compiler fails to correctly implement C++ in some important ways. As a result, a few of the programs in this book will not compile under Visual C++ 6.0. I do my best to point out the issues when they arise in the programs in the book. If you want to go with Microsoft, I recommend their current line of Visual Studio .NET products, which implement the C++ standard quite faithfully."
So first of all, I realize that this text was written in 2004 and that things may have changed significantly since then. But another text (even older, from 1999), mentions that although C++ was standardized back in 1998, compilers do not necessarily adhere to the standard. The above except seems to validate that. With that in mind, are there significant differences between Dev-C++, Code::Blocks, and Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Express? Also, I recently installed the 64bit version of win7. I've always programmed in a 32bit OS, so is there anything different I need to be aware of when using these compilers?
Sorry if some of this has been addressed before. I did search and found some information, but many of the posts were as old as my source material and may be just as irrelevant today. This is all so confusing to a beginner like myself.
From the text:
"I hate to pick on any particular compiler or software company, but I have to say that I cannot recommend Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0. Its compiler fails to correctly implement C++ in some important ways. As a result, a few of the programs in this book will not compile under Visual C++ 6.0. I do my best to point out the issues when they arise in the programs in the book. If you want to go with Microsoft, I recommend their current line of Visual Studio .NET products, which implement the C++ standard quite faithfully."
So first of all, I realize that this text was written in 2004 and that things may have changed significantly since then. But another text (even older, from 1999), mentions that although C++ was standardized back in 1998, compilers do not necessarily adhere to the standard. The above except seems to validate that. With that in mind, are there significant differences between Dev-C++, Code::Blocks, and Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Express? Also, I recently installed the 64bit version of win7. I've always programmed in a 32bit OS, so is there anything different I need to be aware of when using these compilers?
Sorry if some of this has been addressed before. I did search and found some information, but many of the posts were as old as my source material and may be just as irrelevant today. This is all so confusing to a beginner like myself.