Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Would you choose another degree, if you had the choice?

Started by mikeman Feb 17, 2011 at 4:29 PM 22 replies 4.4k views
Original Post
mikeman
mikeman
I'm just curious here about what other members think of their degrees. I myself had passed the exams the first time around and was accepted into a Physics university, but thinking I couldn't get much of a career out of it, I chose to give the exams a second time and got accepted into a CS school, where I will (hopefully) get my degree this year(yeah I know I am terribly late, but I opted to work instead some of the time). Now though that I think of it, I'm not so sure I made the right choice; what I mean is that I haven't really learned in my school anything that I couldn't learn by myself; on the other hand I always had a love for Physics, and maybe, with a degree in Physics and knowledge in programming, I could do some interesting things. Water under the bridge now of course, but sometimes I still think about it.

What about the rest of the members, is there a subject you wished you had pursued, but never did?
Nanoha
Nanoha
You can learn lots of things yourself so I wouldn't use that as a basis for having made a bad choice. Personally I think havign a physics degree would be better if you have some computing related subjects to back it up. E.G. I think a "physics/computing degree" would be better than a pure computer science one.

Interested in Fractals? Check out my App, Fractal Scout, free on the Google Play store.
forsandifs
forsandifs
I did physics at uni. Sometimes I wish I had done some sort of engineering degree in order to have a more practical qualification. I actually found that I enjoy programming more than I enjoy physics. But I don't necessarily regret taking physics because it gives me insight and skills that help with programming that I think most CS students don't have, and I know I can self teach programming.
RivieraKid
RivieraKid
i feel the same way. I wish I had chosen maths or physics or a combination with CS. Could be worse, could have failed.
Zeypher
Zeypher
I wouldn't say I regret getting my degree for Game Art & Design because that's been my passion to program, design and produce video games to the masses. I love every aspect of design that you can program playability and know it could entertains other as well. I'm currently still in school getting my degree, but I love every moment of it. Even some subjects which I hated in high school like Math, I love it here mainly because I've noticed math exist in programming as well.

I wish I was able to do classes in a classroom versus online but I travel so much, I couldn't help it. One reason I "slightly" regret is the fact that in the military yet I've learn some tools here and met my wife because of it. Other than that, I don't regret any decision I made for my degree.
Current Project:
* Project Lavapit (Using Visual C# Studio, Version 0.2)
* Mass Invasion (Using Visual C++ Studio, Version 1.2) [Minor break]
* Invasion -Port- (Using Visual C# Studio, Version 0.1)

* Codename Alias (Using GM; Version 1.0)

* Eternal Remien (Using RPG Maker VX; Version 2.2)

* R.E.X. (Unknown Program; Ideas Only)

Current Members:
Troy Cabal (Game Art & Design
FableFox
FableFox
i would have take accounting. simple job, tons of pay. i know. you will be paid tons of money even if you stupid enough not knowing that copying popular mp3 is illegal, and even more stupid of not understand the command of "do not put this on company public folder again".


if you know add, minus, multiple, divide, debit, credit - and that's it.

okay, to tell the truth, it's harder than that. buy via rent, rent, get item now pay then, pay now yet not get the item, bla bla bla. but seriously, if you can program, you can easily understand accounting. computer science doesn't have the word "science" for no reason.

the other thing is that accounting never change (actually they can, but rarely and few in between, and mostly on reporting / classification). it's not like you have to keep up to date with game sdk, dx 1, dx 3, dx 5, dx 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, bla bla bla to a point you finally throw your hand up in the air and use game engine.

(and trust me, because accounting rarely change, the software really, really, really, make your job easy, because everything that can happen, already happened, and there enough software revision that it can almost do everything ( bank reconciliation? export csv from bank, import csv into app, done).

i thought the smarter you are the better you are paid. it's either wrong country, or wrong planet. it was so bad to a point i'm thinking of getting MBA instead of MsC.
Nanoha
Nanoha
i thought the smarter you are the better you are paid. it's either wrong country, or wrong planet. it was so bad to a point i'm thinking of getting MBA instead of MsC.


Nice to be paid well sure, nicer to have an interesting job though in my opinion.
Interested in Fractals? Check out my App, Fractal Scout, free on the Google Play store.
FableFox
FableFox

[quote name='FableFox' timestamp='1301250057' post='4791025']i thought the smarter you are the better you are paid. it's either wrong country, or wrong planet. it was so bad to a point i'm thinking of getting MBA instead of MsC.


Nice to be paid well sure, nicer to have an interesting job though in my opinion.
[/quote]

I know, I know. But when the job is something like EA wife thingy, or this yearly contract, some will be dropped thingy like a post i read few minutes ago, bla bla bla, I was like, is it because that guy write (but not sign, of course, only boss do that) and receive checks ?

I think it's the mentality. Anyway, I'm quitting game dev, hanging here just for old time sake (been here since, like, 1998? even before Game Programmers Megasite and Game Programmes 99? merged).

Anyway, after being involvend in an accident, then warded for 5 day (stress related, not accident related), I think I've had enough of rat race. working on my own personal 3d animation project now.
Zeypher
Zeypher
I don't plan to start out within the gaming industry due to the competition of getting in or build one up due to the funding requirement. So I plan to start another business that I know can make money with three other buddies. Once I establish enough funds from that, i should also have experience I need to create my own games for sell if I don't already do that while I'm with the other company. It's all about having a plan so you don't regret what degree you get or how you got there....
Current Project:
* Project Lavapit (Using Visual C# Studio, Version 0.2)
* Mass Invasion (Using Visual C++ Studio, Version 1.2) [Minor break]
* Invasion -Port- (Using Visual C# Studio, Version 0.1)

* Codename Alias (Using GM; Version 1.0)

* Eternal Remien (Using RPG Maker VX; Version 2.2)

* R.E.X. (Unknown Program; Ideas Only)

Current Members:
Troy Cabal (Game Art & Design
djowatts
djowatts
I am currently studying Computer Animation, Visualisation and Modelling, and running Games design and programming along side.

I am a natural programmer, and after going through learning a couple of languages on my own, i still could have completed that without a computing background.

If I was to go back and choose a different Discipline, I would choose maths. Through school I always viewed maths as boring and unimportant, and it is only now i have gotten to this level that i can see how important it actually is, and not just to CS but to pretty much any field on the planet, even effectivley planting a potato field requires maths. It would have helped me no end in my games design to have studied Maths to a higher level.
"HARDWARE is the part of the Computer you can Kick!"

Fl4sh
Fl4sh
I am actually a week away from getting my associates...it's a bit late now. D:
They hated on Jeezus, so you think I give a f***?!
zer0wolf
zer0wolf
I got my BS. in Computer Graphics Technology, got a job as a Designer, and now I work as a Producer. I can't say I completely 'use' my degree, but it certainly gave me a better understanding of what some of my teammates were going through when I started out. I'm pretty happy with the education I had.
ApochPiQ
ApochPiQ
Yeah, sometimes I regret not having a degree.



But most of the time, I look at the pile of debt I never had to pay off, and how I spent the same years making money and learning the same stuff as everyone in school, and I don't care
-Datriot-
-Datriot-

Yeah, sometimes I regret not having a degree.
But most of the time, I look at the pile of debt I never had to pay off, and how I spent the same years making money and learning the same stuff as everyone in school, and I don't care


Do you have a software development or IT related job? I'm just curious, because if you do, what process did you have to go through to get your foot in door?
ApochPiQ
ApochPiQ
I'm a senior engineer with Egosoft GmbH.


As for how I got there... let's just say it involved animal sacrifices and a couple of awkward nights in which I did not wear pants
Fl4sh
Fl4sh

I'm a senior engineer with Egosoft GmbH.


As for how I got there... let's just say it involved animal sacrifices and a couple of awkward nights in which I did not wear pants


Are you a woman?
They hated on Jeezus, so you think I give a f***?!
lithos
lithos
I wouldn't have started college and just gone straight to the military. Nukes get far better education than most college students, and is worth more on a resume.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.