Original Post
Is anyone on GDNet into functional programming? If so, is anyone using it for anything interesting?
I first came into contact with FP by way of Haskell, which my university uses in its introductory programming course, and took a liking to it right away.
At the moment I'm working from time to time on an IRC bot written in Erlang and, a bit less intermittently, a non-strict, pure functional language for web development (known problems: no tail call elimination yet, the syntax is far too C-like and the error messages horrible, out of which I'm blaming the last two on my poor initial choice of the BNF Converter for parser generation,) in Haskell, for my bachelor's thesis. I wrote a small Tetris clone to try it out; better use Chrome if you want to test it though, since I'm being extremely inefficient about redrawing the background and Firefox is pretty slow with canvas drawing. I'm also currently toying a bit with F#, but the way they've complicated monads is putting me off.
Is anyone else doing something interesting with FP, or even interested at all?
I first came into contact with FP by way of Haskell, which my university uses in its introductory programming course, and took a liking to it right away.
At the moment I'm working from time to time on an IRC bot written in Erlang and, a bit less intermittently, a non-strict, pure functional language for web development (known problems: no tail call elimination yet, the syntax is far too C-like and the error messages horrible, out of which I'm blaming the last two on my poor initial choice of the BNF Converter for parser generation,) in Haskell, for my bachelor's thesis. I wrote a small Tetris clone to try it out; better use Chrome if you want to test it though, since I'm being extremely inefficient about redrawing the background and Firefox is pretty slow with canvas drawing. I'm also currently toying a bit with F#, but the way they've complicated monads is putting me off.
Is anyone else doing something interesting with FP, or even interested at all?