Original Post
I am just a hobbyist. For the last 3 years or so I have learned 3d modelling and programming and I never expected Id get so far.
In my game I have a big "world" the character can freely roam. Think of the GTA games or TES: Oblivion. I have a geomipmapped terrain with texture splatting and use "position holders" which are basically entities which only have position, rotation and scale data to place buildings and such on the terrain. For the trees, bushes and rocks I use "vegetation maps" to place them on the terrain. I then collapse some close vegetation and buildings into a single "batch" so that I wont break the limit of the GPU but also wont break culling. I use an octreefied geometry for collisions. Currently working on splitting the terrain into smaller chunks and implement terrain paging (can't find much info about it).
But anyway, like i said I do the game by myself. I have done quite alot of 3d models for the game, but now its time to make the world map and Im stuck. I need to make small towns and forests the player can explore. I have their basic locations and the vegetation and buildings I will place in the small towns. But I dont know how to do this!
https://segue.atlas.uiuc.edu/uploads/kolovos2/Chicago%20Future.JPG
http://newurbandesigner.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/modern-warfare-map-298x300.jpg
http://www.tfportal.net/gfx/content/tf2/maps/team_fortress_2_map_overview_goldrush.jpg
http://rmvhoek.com/Gaming%20Dales/Gaming%20Images/Map%20E00%20-%20Mistledale%202.JPG
What is this field of game development called? The knowledge I have earned in 3d modelling are not enough, this is different. I am eager to learn, but have no idea where to go.
In my game I have a big "world" the character can freely roam. Think of the GTA games or TES: Oblivion. I have a geomipmapped terrain with texture splatting and use "position holders" which are basically entities which only have position, rotation and scale data to place buildings and such on the terrain. For the trees, bushes and rocks I use "vegetation maps" to place them on the terrain. I then collapse some close vegetation and buildings into a single "batch" so that I wont break the limit of the GPU but also wont break culling. I use an octreefied geometry for collisions. Currently working on splitting the terrain into smaller chunks and implement terrain paging (can't find much info about it).
But anyway, like i said I do the game by myself. I have done quite alot of 3d models for the game, but now its time to make the world map and Im stuck. I need to make small towns and forests the player can explore. I have their basic locations and the vegetation and buildings I will place in the small towns. But I dont know how to do this!
https://segue.atlas.uiuc.edu/uploads/kolovos2/Chicago%20Future.JPG
http://newurbandesigner.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/modern-warfare-map-298x300.jpg
http://www.tfportal.net/gfx/content/tf2/maps/team_fortress_2_map_overview_goldrush.jpg
http://rmvhoek.com/Gaming%20Dales/Gaming%20Images/Map%20E00%20-%20Mistledale%202.JPG
What is this field of game development called? The knowledge I have earned in 3d modelling are not enough, this is different. I am eager to learn, but have no idea where to go.