Original Post
How many man hours do you think it would take to write a 3d graphics engine from scratch that could be used in good looking commercial products?
Anything from 2 weeks to 2 years, depending on skill, experience and procrastination level ;-) Pablo
You would mostly be looking at a few weeks for a simple GRAPHICS engine that could have ships flying through space firing bullets [/quote]
Few weeks!
try less than a day
You would mostly be looking at a few weeks for a simple GRAPHICS engine that could have ships flying through space firing bullets
Few weeks!
try less than a day :)
[/quote]
If you're saying it should take someone less than a day to write a graphics engine of the complexity described above, I think that's a little optimistic ;)
First of all, as mentioned previously, the time it will take depends on what you already know. For someone starting from scratch with little or no knowledge of programming, math, and/or graphics, a simple rendering engine could take weeks, months, or even a year or more to get up and running.
But, even for someone who already knows all the material, 'less than a day' might still be a little optimistic, assuming you're really starting from scratch. Depending on scope (e.g. whether it's 2-d or 3-d, whether texture loading is supported, whether model loading is supported, etc.), it could easily take a day just to gather all the necessary libraries, get them built and integrated in whatever development environment you're using, type all the code, etc. And, even the simplest project will still have a code-build-debug cycle, and it's often (if not usually) the case that unexpected obstacles will arise as part of this cycle.
Yep, that's completing 98% of your work, and then having to complete the other 98%, which is why I always double my first estimates =D
And, even the simplest project will still have a code-build-debug cycle, and it's often (if not usually) the case that unexpected obstacles will arise as part of this cycle.
And, even the simplest project will still have a code-build-debug cycle, and it's often (if not usually) the case that unexpected obstacles will arise as part of this cycle [/quote]
Of course this is based on your experience.
Sure sometimes unexpected things crop up but for me (Ive completed 100s of apps, mainly flash) & no doubt others to do this
You would mostly be looking at a few weeks for a simple GRAPHICS engine that could have ships flying through space firing bullets
would take less than a day cause you know from experience what to do.
At the other end of the spectrum a person may know nothing about coding,maths,design,logic,GFX etc in which case to achieve the above would take months
And, even the simplest project will still have a code-build-debug cycle, and it's often (if not usually) the case that unexpected obstacles will arise as part of this cycle
Of course this is based on your experience.[/quote]
Hm, so you're saying the 'debug' part of the 'code-build-debug' cycle is just my personal experience? All available evidence would seem to contradict that, but ok :)
You would mostly be looking at a few weeks for a simple GRAPHICS engine that could have ships flying through space firing bullets
Few weeks!
try less than a day
[/quote]
Sure, you can make a modelviewer in less than a day, but I'd hardly call that a "graphics engine".
Designing the API, getting all the boilerplate stuff ready, etc. would take much longer than a single day.
Hm, so you're saying the 'debug' part of the 'code-build-debug' cycle is just my personal experience? All available evidence would seem to contradict that, but ok [/quote]
'your' doesnt mean you specifically, its meant as a general term for person or persons X.
Myself I spend less than 10% time debugging, (nowadays 90% of that time I spend debugging is cause of javascripts insane lack of static typing, grrr ), actually now I think about it, it would be a lot less than 10%. My ratio of coding-vs-debugging was far far higher back 20+ years ago or even 10 years ago. I find the more I code the more likely I am to write things that 'just work'(tm) I assume with most ppl is similar.
I actually knocked up a engine in about a day (from scratch in javascript) a few months ago, of course its not complete (even today) but then nothing is complete even the unreal/crytek/id etc engines are continuously being rewritten/tweaked.
but within a day it could do this -> 'You would mostly be looking at a few weeks for a simple GRAPHICS engine that could have ships flying through space firing bullets'
plus a lot more.
I find the more I code the more likely I am to write things that 'just work'™ I assume with most ppl is similar.
but within a day it could do this -> 'You would mostly be looking at a few weeks for a simple GRAPHICS engine that could have ships flying through space firing bullets'
plus a lot more.
[/quote]
That simple description is still pretty vague. One could easily get something up and running in a day using existing frameworks and/or rapid development tools (and I certainly don't doubt that you were able to get something running in that time). But the above could also describe a cross-platform renderer targeting Windows (XP, Vista, 7), OS X (PowerPC and Intel), and Linux, with both OpenGL and Direct3D backends (depending on platform), with basic scene-graph support and support for loading textures and models, all written from scratch in C++ (with windowing handled by an API such as SDL). I don't care how experienced you are, just getting the project(s) set up appropriately for each platform and simply typing the code is probably going to take more than a day. And in reality, no matter how experienced you are, you're not going to be able to just type up the whole thing and have it build and run perfectly the first time. (Well, maybe you could, but that'd be pretty extraordinary.) Most likely, there will be multiple iterations of the code-build-debug cycle, and given how the C++ build process works and the fact that you have to build and test on three different platforms, that day is going to go by pretty quickly ;)
How many man hours do you think it would take to write a 3d graphics engine from scratch that could be used in good looking commercial products?
I don't care how experienced you are, just getting the project(s) set up appropriately for each platform and simply typing the code is probably going to take more than a day. [/quote]
well this was with webgl & html5. I.e. its a webpage/app
Thus it works on win/linux/mac/whatever with little or no difference between the platforms, well I cant see any diferences between say it running on linux as opposed to windows (though you do have differences between browsers eg chrome has 4xAA standard whereas firefox has no AA & the other stuff eg mousewheel,widgets/fonts displaying differently on each browser like most html pages)
This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.
With your permission, GameDev.net uses analytics cookies to understand how people use the platform. You can accept analytics or continue with necessary cookies only. Learn more